To all Avira users

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ssj100, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Here's my report.

Attached Files:

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

You started this thread and I'd like to know your conclusions about this subject, please? :rolleyes:

3. Macstorm

Thank you
    I see now, Avira is failing again :rolleyes:

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

There is no need to repeat yourself ad nauseam, such a sluggish update happened to me perhaps once or twice in the past. The other thing is that I've only noticed it because I usually start my updates manually even though there's a scheduler, which means that normally that would happen quietly in the background, only notifying you of the success/failure of a particular update.

Now if you go about your business, and the update takes 9 minutes or 10 seconds, what difference does it make if you are unaware of the operation being performed in the background?

5. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

This is strange. Before version 9, I had random update problems but with version 9, the updates are very quick. I usually call for 3 updates daily, one in the morning, afternoon and evening. All of them usually run in under a minute. So I feel your pain when an update takes longer. However, you really can't complain about an excellent free AV. At least I can't. :D

Ice

6. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

ssj100, when you say your XP SP3 does not support IPv6, is that like a hardware issue (e.g. set in stone) or more like a compatibility problem?

This quote is a bit confusing. You said XP SP3 can support it (which it does) but that some "systems" do not. By "systems," do you mean hardware, or what?

The reason I ask is because I was called to help out a friend with network issues just two days ago. And I remember the solution: I had to install the IPv6 support for him (he was running XP SP3) through the Control Panel -> Network Connections interface.

So, unless your hardware does not allow you access to IPv6 -- or there is some other reason with no viable workaround -- you may want to take a look at this, maybe you can get IPv6 installed on your system after all :) .

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

IPv6 is the "next generation" protocol designed by the IETF to replace the current version Internet Protocol, IP Version 4 ("IPv4").

Most of today's internet uses IPv4, which is now nearly twenty years old. Old technology doesnt stick around long.
    Times change and IPv6 will not go away.

8. Boost

Boost Registered Member

IPv4 is and will be replaced by IPv6,

If your setup doesnt work with it,you need to fix it,because there's no way IPv4 is sticking around.

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

http://www.chips.navy.mil/archives/99_oct/ngi.htm

Read and educate yourself.

10. Macstorm

Earlier I did read the title and content of the thread that you created. Next, out of curiosity, I did check the avira's update logs: No update errors whatsoever. Then, I posted my findings and the update log here as per your request. Based on my experience, should I be concerned about what you reported? NO. I didn't see what you saw.

Did you sense some sarcasm in my previous posts? well, what's the point of bringing to this topic:
    :cautious:

11. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Funny I used NOD32 from 2001 to 2004 and I remember nothing but update server problems. The update server was on the fritz most of the time so eset sent the update out on the server ment to collect statistical data from the subscribers computer :argh: I also remember arguing with Blackspear and Marcos alot.

12. Macstorm

This will be my last 'unhelpful' post on your 'helpful' thread:
    Neither me nor my friends (using the Premium version) had any issues with updating the whole day. Period.

13. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Unless there is an AV with a perfect updater you shouldn't complain. Every AV has problems sometimes.

14. Rain_Train

Rain_Train Registered Member

That's quite a lot of checkpoints you have to go through :eek: .

In any case, I'm not too knowledgeable on IPv6 either. So I'm afraid I can't offer anymore help there. But, I wouldn't worry about the slow updates too much. Just go to AntiVir's scheduler and add in some more update tasks. When I used AntiVir, I ran four updates every day, each in four-hour intervals. For example, Update #1 could run at 8:00 AM, Update #2 at 12:00 PM, and so on and so forth. Just set the tasks to invisible, and even if all the other updates time out or execute with errors, one of the updates are bound to work. Besides, AntiVir will notify you if it is out-of-date.

Good luck :) .

15. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Where did i say i was talking to you? o_O

16. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's eliminate the personal barbs directed towards each other in these threads.

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I just ran a scheduled scan started it and went out when I came back home I was greeted by a BSOD,took a screen shot....unfortunately I couldn't hold on to it after the re start process. To sumerize it said a critical process was forced to quit. then after 3 restarts I got back to the desktop.Then I got this
    I hope Avira is working on a solution.

Attached Files:

18. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thank you for your suggestion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.