Tiring Sound

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by PikeDude, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PikeDude

PikeDude Guest

Hi to all!

I just downloaded the trial version of Look n Stop 2.04p2 after hearing how great it is and I must say that it is one of the few firewalls that doesn't slow down my internet speed or computer. It passed all the scan tests that I had performed :)
    My only problem is that in the configuration I have the sound option set to system sounds and that sound keeps going off every 20-30 seconds warning me that a rule has been applied. When I look at the log it is on port 6346 and 1615.
    Now I know that 6346 is the port that shareaza uses but I don't have that on my computer since at least 2 months (before Look n Stop).
    The port 1615 is the port that I use for the Kazaalite program. Although I authorized the program in the application filtering, it still alerts me when that port is being scanned (every 20 seconds or so) whether I'm using Kazaalite or not. How can I make this annoying sound stop? I would like to keep the sound box ticked so that I can get warnings for other programs or scans. I downloaded the Kazaa rules from the homepage but I'm not sure as to where they should be imported in the internet filtering ( in between which other rules should they go? at the top? at the bottom?) Will the rules that are imported cause the sounds to stop for the Kazaalite port that I'm using (need to change port from 1214 to 1615, that much I know).
    As for the 6346, I'm stumped because I don't have any software that uses that port (not to my knowledge, anyways) I'm using Windows XP Home with all the updates on a Pentium 4. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey PikeDude

http://www.wilderssecurity.info/images/avertir2.bmp This row controls two attributes: the sound and the alert dialog box. For a rule, if http://www.wilderssecurity.info/images/sonactif.bmp is selected, only a sound is played, if the attribute is http://www.wilderssecurity.info/images/avertir2.bmp the sound is played and an alert message is displayed. This alert message contains a short description of the packet contents and the rule name (the option "Alert message" must be selected in the 'Options' page).

References: http://www.wilderssecurity.info/Internet_Filtering.shtml

3. Phant0m

As you are already aware you can Disable Sound Events altogether by un-ticking “Sound” in “Options” screen. You can also disable Sound events for particular rules when in “Advanced Mode” by configuring the rules Sound/Alert attributes (5th column over) to NULL. You can also Disable the Warning Flag (3rd column over) on the following rules which Authorizes to prevent the extremely annoying Sound Events from triggering…

Regards,

4. PikeDude

PikeDude Guest

Hi Phant0m

Wow, thanks for the tip, now that's music to my ears (the silence that is) :) This is one cool firewall. Light on the resources and tight as a drum. I realized after I posted that when I uninstalled Shareaza that I never removed the forwarded port in my router, once that was done no more entries in my log for port 6346. Had it not been for this firewall I would not have seen this for a very long time.
    I was also wondering, I was at your website shortly after I posted the first post and downloaded your ruleset v2.0 and did everything that was advised to do and everything works well. Would you say that your ruleset is tighter then the EnhancedRuleSet? Should someone new to LNS be using it or did you create for the more advanced user that needs to tweak it some more.
    Once again, thanks for all the help.

5. Phant0m

Hey PikeDude

I’m glad to of helped.

In Reference to your Question; the rule-set is tightest you can possibly get for Inbound Protection. All Hacks/Scan/Nuke Attempts are Blocked Stone Cold whether it’s over IP & Non-IP or Other IP Protocols.

I would recommend the rule-set to anyone who is willing to explore new different rule-set methods in securing ones machine...

Don’t hesitate to poster further Questions/Suggestions/Comments… :D

6. PikeDude

PikeDude Guest

Hi Phant0m

Once again, thanks, and I think I will ask more questions in trying to learn and use this firewall more efficiently. I will keep it on for a few more days to see how it goes with my system (so far very well) and then I'll head over to the LNS website and purchase it.
    I think this firewall is more than worth the $39.00 that they are asking for :)

Regards

7. Phant0m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.