Tip for people rolling custom GrSec kernels

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Gullible Jones, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Or any custom kernels, really:

'make localmodconfig'

Takes the pain out of compiling a kernel. You might need to create an initial ramdisk depending on your distro, or enable filesystem drivers for FAT32 and NTFS, but otherwise it will enable all modules that you have loaded when you run it.

(I had been using 'localyesconfig' before, but this works much better.)

Edit: though it doesn't really take the pain out of actually running a GrSec kernel. Random Firefox crashes, X11 responsiveness issues, computer refusing to power down properly... Ugh. I know this is because the applications (and the display server, and the init system, and...) are doing dubious things, but I need to use those programs, and they're not going to get fixed any time soon.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  2. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Alright, after getting several system crashes on non-GrSec kernels, I believe I have found the problem.

Protip: a Pentium D is not just a Pentium 4 with two cores. If you want to optimize your kernel, check the CPU family in /proc/cpuinfo. If it's 15, your CPU is Netburst based, i.e. a souped up Pentium 4. But if it's 6, then the CPU is actually Core 2 based - and optimizations for Netburst CPUs are not a subset of Core 2 optimizations, they're incompatible and may cause crashes.

(Repeat after me: premature optimization is evil...)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.