Tip For More Responsive Internet?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by drhu22, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Im no net geek...but ive done this 2 or 3 times with similar results (may not be wireless friendly). Someone knowledgeable tell me if this is ill advised or not:

Open device manager, view hidden, disable all wan miniports (under network adaptors).
    My understanding is that they are needed for some aspect of wifi or wireless...i wanted to uninstall them but it doesnt happen without some kind of reg edit apparently.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What exactly do you mean by "more responsive internet"?

3. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Pages load faster...just less time waiting. It (seems) lighter.
    Unfortunately I havent benchmarked it, but it might be an idea (im not that geeky).

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Please don't go screwing with settings if you don't know what you're doing (reading instructions off of random Internet pages doesn't count as knowing what you're doing either.) . A lot of stuff can impact your internet experience. Bad connections, inadequate settings, slow ISP DNS servers, network traffic and security programs can all affect it. So can people taking your wireless connection for a spin if it isn't secured.

Why don't you look into those things first?

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

@Mman79

Prudent advice for those who cannot get themselves out of problems created by such tweaks.

However, how can you find tweaks or find out if they work, if you don't try them? There are a lot of tweaks I have applied that many would scoff at, yet I can see and feel the differences.

Just saying ;)

Sul.

6. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

The way this was discovered(?) was i was looking for orphaned drivers etc under DevM and I noticed all these entries under NetA. I googled "wan miniport" and al references had to do with wireless...which i do not use or want, so I just tried disabling all. How can disabling wifi related services/drivers/processes make me more vulnerable or break functionality if im not using that aspect of my pc?

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nothing wrong with experimenting as long as you can recover from mishaps. A good recent image of your system would be good insurance against something undesirable happening when you tweak things... You never know what may happen, so it's good to have some insurance. :)

8. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

This shouldnt be too scary if you only disable...my attempt to uninstall only came after trying them disabled for a week or so.
    Also...i realise that Paragon BR is my friend.

9. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Anyone feeling brave?

10. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Yes Sully, I do understand. It's just that time and time again some random blog/person/"expert" will suggest this and that, and users that can barely understand the surface of their OS decide to go play with the innards and then end up worse off than they were.

@Drhu22: Your original post didn't make it too clear to me that you weren't trying to solve a wireless issue, but instead get rid of its unneeded services and files. My apologies :) I prefer to stay on the side of caution when it comes to giving out advice for messing with the OS.

11. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Oh, too true, sadly, too true.

Knowing ones limitations should be evident to oneself, one would think lol.

Sul.

12. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

RE: Oh, too true, sadly, too true. Knowing ones limitations should be evident to oneself, one would think lol.

My intent was to find out if it was a safe tweak or not, and to share if it was.
    Prove it dangerous, or show how its counterproductive on a pc with no wifi.
    Condescending or whato_O

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What you need is a better ISP.
    Mrk

14. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

His statement was in reply to mine..down boy, lol.

15. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Same here. Then again I have a box with dated specs, so I notice a diff. more than the next person. Any one of my tweaks by itself probably doesn't make any notable improvement. It's when you add all 1000 of them together that you notice a world of difference.

And I'm always on the look out for #1001...

16. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Maybe it's a placebo effect but I noticed when I go into internet explorer options, then connection, then LAN settings, if I uncheck the Automatically Detect Settings check box my pages load faster
    try that and see if it makes a difference for you or not

17. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

You need to take into account different browsers etc.
    A quick fix might make firefox pages load faster but might slow down IE for example.
    Ive noticed this myself as i dont use a landline connection but mobile broadband.
    If it aint broke then dont try to fix it.

Ive also noticed that my browser is like a rocket after midnight.odd i know but during the early evening it is running fairly quick.
    Things are what they are and tweaks can cause more problems than they cure.
    I tried the black viper configurations and found i could not connect anymore so i learned my lesson and dont touch anything anymore.:D

18. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Tried this, and it works. Browsing is even snappier. Thanks!

19. berryracer

Sorry, tried what?

20. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Tweaking is all well and good,providing you have a good snapshot/imaging recovery strategy in place to prevent permanent damage.

21. Bodhitree

The recommendations in the OP. Works, feels snappier for sure.

22. JeffreyCole

JeffreyCole Developer

23. Bodhitree

If you use a consumer grade router, better to just use your ISP's DNS.. Most consumer grade routers bog down handling DNS. If you use enterprise, then by all means re-allocate DNS traffic to something else. I absolutely never recommend off the shelf consumer routers, you are much better off buying a legacy enterprise at the very least.

24. berryracer

Awesome tool man! This is much better tan namebench as it allows u to create a custom DNS list that give u optimium performance!

cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.