Tiny Trojan Trap's Anti-Virus

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FarCry, Feb 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

Tiny Trojan Trap v3.0 has a built in Anti-Virus.
    I was wondering if this is any good.
    I just installed it again. I’ve used v1.0.

I’m going to give it a run for a little while.
    I’m just concerned about the AV.

Wade

2. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

I couldn't run TTT on my systems because right after installation with default settings, I would find my systems being automatically rebooted.  Finally, after tweaking and then un-installing, that problem went away.

3. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

I'm using WinXP and I have no problems with it running.
    I'm wondering if I can run it alone with it's built in AV.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

http://www.tinysoRe: Tiny Trojan Trap's Anti-Virus

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny?s=8768308485266673195A0&pg=download

-begin quote-
    Build Info: Version 3.0! First combination of Sandbox and Antivirus technology ever! Includes award winning McAfee VirusScan engine.
    February 6, 2002, Win 98, ME, 2000 , NT & XP.
    -end quote-

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny?s=6007837888603734912A0&la=EN&va=&pg=store_online

-begin quote-
    Tiny Trojan Trap 3.0 is the software that prevents all sorts of Worms, Trojans, unknown scripts, programs, JAVA applets, and other similar malicious code that you get from the internet from harming you and your computer. Includes McAfee VirusScan engine and 1 year worth of free update!
    Platform :            Windows 98/ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, XP
    Version :            1.0
    Language :            English
    Price :            $39.95

Shipment :            Internet - key only
    -end quote-

So:
    1. the AV is from McAfee
    2. they seem to have made a mistake about the version-number on the purchase-page: it is Tiny Trojan Trap 3.0 so the version is 3.0 and not 1.0

5. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

I'm using it now. I like TTT a lot. It's a great idea.
    I just wonder about the McAfee AV that's built in it.

The Trojan Trap part of it is the same thing as v1.0.
    I don't notice anything different, other than the AV.

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Wade for clarifying the version issue.

I don't have TTT (tried to buy it in December 2001, but had some discussions with the Dutch reseller about the price; I got a bit sick of the discussion and didn't want to buy it at that moment).

I guess you can disable the McAfee AV from running resident and run another AV of your choice in case you would like to do so? Am I right?

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Wade,

TTT v1.0 still stashed somewhere (licensed) to test drive; nice you like the sanbox!

As for McAfee: surely isn't my first (second, third...) choice as an AV  :rolleyes:

regards.

paul

8. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

Jan, Yes, you're right, I can disable it.
    I probably will when I can run some Anti-Virus Email tests.
    Mediaone is changing over to attbi and my Emails are uncertain at the moment.

Paul, That's why I'm asking. I don't feel very confident about McAfee as it is.

9. wizard

wizard Registered Member

McAfee is very good choice for an on-demand only scanner.  The scan engine is very slow even with the last one which had some minor improvements on the speed issue. That is the reason why I would not recommend it as on access scanner. Also McAfee VirusScan is known to be a big troublemaker (installation, deinstallation) but if they only include the scan engine of that would not be a problem for Tiny Trojan Trap.

For Tiny Trojan Trap 3.0 I will do a review for Rokop-Security maybe next weekend.

wizard

10. FarCry

FarCry Registered Member

Wizard; Excellent, I'm looking forward to the review.
    Please post the results here.

11. wizard

wizard Registered Member

If I will find enough time next weekend there will also be an english translation of the review. :)

wizard

12. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I tried TTT but I had alotta problems with, as soon as it was installed, NO programs would run, and I couldn't seem to get it to work properly, so I uninstalled it. Perhaps I missed something? But it was BAD, required MS progs were failing all around me it was very frustrating, I had mere seconds to turn that thing off before my machine became unusable. Now that does'n me this is a bad program

Like previously stated, McAfee is unreliable (not to mention I already have a good AV in NOD32) so I don't feel like paying for another one.

I have TDS-3 (and soon..oh so very soon to have TDS-4), from DiamondCS a proven Trojan hunter among other things, with a solid reputation and great support.

Combine that with Wormguard that had a great feel for weeding out files that wanna do suspicious things, and it is save to say there isn't much TTT has to offer me that these others do not.

And since I have already paid for them, they will stay. If someone can describe a situation where TTT could protect me in a way that the others cannot (that does not require me to do something stupid) I will re-evaluate my thinking.

To be clear: I am a moderator of the DiamondCS forums becuase I like there products and feel that they go beyond the call of duty to support their customers. I reply in kind and moderate to say thank-you. They pay me nothing, nor do I wish to be paid. I do not want to appear to slant this thread as an active agent for DiamondCS because I am not.

13. linney

linney Registered Member

I have version 1.0 of TTT.  What attracted me to it was the ability to stop leaks in firewall of out going applications that were using other applications to mask their identity.  In that respect I have been quite happy with it.  Now that version 3.0 is released I wonder if version 1 will be updated as a seperate program or whether you have to buy version 3.0 to keep updated.  

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Amazingly enough, TTT (when it first came out as a beta) didn't cause my new computer any problems, per se, but it did seem to slow things down.

After playing with it for a very short period of time, I un-installed it - not because it wasn't any good, but because of (a) the slow-down issue (b) the general consensus at the time was that it was more a sysadmin tool than anything really useful for the single home computer user and (c) to really wring out the full benefit of having it, I'd have had to drop everything else I was doing just to fully research/learn about all its features and I simply didn't have the time.

It's always niggled away at the back of my mind that I should have kept/learned/bought it, though. Pete

15. Zhen-Xjell

Zhen-Xjell Security Expert

Actually, that is the concept behind TTT.  If it would not crash my systems, I would be running it since it offers the sandbox capability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.