Tiny Personal Firewall question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mvdu, Mar 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

How advanced to you have to be to run Tiny? Are the defaults safe? I don't mind creating some rules to tighten, but I want defaults that don't leave you vulnerable.

2. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Any feedback on this firewall?

3. subratam

subratam Registered Member

I used to have Tiny Personal Firewall. Then, Blitzenzeus, one firewall expert who used to frequent here and maybe still, but I dont see much :rolleyes:, told me Tiny has some bugs and rather I should use Kerio 2.15... which is having same interface as Tiny with bugs fixed coming with default rule set which are good enough.
    One word of advice... if you know your rules only then opt for these rule-based firewalls, because its totally in your hand, Its powerful and vulnerable, both in your hand.

4. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks for the input. NPF and Outpost have set rules that I like, and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with one that doesn't.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

I think BZ would have been referring to Tiny 2.x
    The newer versions of Tiny Personal Firewall, now at v5.x, is something completely different with the sandboxing component.

Regards,

CrazyM

6. subratam

CrazyM,
    BZ referred me kerio and not Tiny :doubt:, if I remember correctly.

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you were using Tiny v2.x he likely would have suggested going to Kerio V2.15 as there were improvements to the Kerio v2.x after the Tiny/Kerio split. For anyone sticking with v2.x Kerio is the one to use.

Since then development of Tiny Personal Firewall now incorporates what used to be a stand alone sandboxing application (Tiny Trojan Trap), IDS and stateful firewall. Needless to say the current TPF v5.x is quite different and more complex than v2.x

Regards,

CrazyM

8. subratam

CrazyM,

Rightly said and thats what had actually happened

thank you

9. tpfuser

tpfuser Guest

You don't have to be too advanced to use TPF5.5; I'm a home user and use it. The defaults are fairly safe, but you should join their forum to learn a few tweaks that make it even safer. It is far more secure than regular firewalls in that it works at different levels. It has IDS/IPS features, a firewall, windows security and integrity guards. You can control virtually every aspect of your pc. It can easily defeat any tests that other firewalls fail, because it can prevent code injection, prevent apps or .exe files from starting other apps. etc. It is a very complicated piece of software with pretty well unmatched performance IMO. The more you use it the more you like it. Steep learning curve but I like it.

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks. I saw on DSLR that Tiny is unable to filter loopback traffic. Is this exactly like Sygate's problem?

11. tpfuser

tpfuser Guest

Tiny has never really said how TPF5.5 handles loopback as it does interest me because I use a local proxy server. I don't know if it is similar to Sygate or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.