Tiny Firewall and MS - Emergency

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by blazintommyd, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blazintommyd

blazintommyd Registered Member

:'(
    I installed a July 26, 2001 WinNT 4.0 Workstation update because MS said I needed it. I fell asleep. Someone else restarted the computer and can't log on because 'control-alt-delete' does not respond - i.e., the keyboard (functioning in boot) and the mouse don't function at log on.
    :'(
    Before the event log was full I received 'a driver or application failed to install' error message 'see event log' which obscured the following error message:

"Tiny Personal Firewall has detected that application C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\RPCSS.EXE was replaced by another application 'Distribute.com Services'.Do you want to accept replacement of this application [yes/no boxes provided]"

(First) I ran Norton Anti-Virus emergency repair & virus scan on the A drive showing that the Master boot and boot were scanned and are clean, the same with memory and program files - took 1 hour 42 mins. to run

(Second) I'm unable to enter DOS and receive the following error:

"I/O Error accessing boot sector file multi(o)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\Bootss

WinNT Emergency repair disk prompts for diskette A - which I did not try

PROBLEMS - some files for a pending State appeal and Federal action are backed up some aren't. Even if I could restore the files on a new instalation I couldn't in time to answer opponent's papers probably on Monday
    Also I have no CD Rom a gear fell out of it a while back and I never replaced it

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated from someone familiar with NT -e.g., whether I can repair the system from the NT diskettes without losing data. And for example, if RPCss.exe would be copied from the ERD in conjunction with the NT Set up Diskette and if so would this satiate the firewall conflict OR if there is someway to uninstall the firewall(?) or whatever?

In any event I can't afford to lose the data presently on my C drive

P.S. Does anyone know what "distribute.com" is?

2. msingle

msingle Registered Member

Don't know if this will help or not but here goes:

1. On the emergency repair it depends on what may ultimately happen to your data. A lot of different scenarios could come into play. It's been a long time since I've worked with NT so I'm kind of muddy.

2. One thing you may can do is to go to http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml and download the NTFS disk from there and then if you have a DOS (95/98 version) boot disk boot into DOS and use the NTFSDOS utility to recover your stuff so that you can use it on another computer.

May work, may not. But it's worth a shot.

Hope it helps a little!

I'm also emailing you this info.

3. blazintommyd

Thank you Mark, this is very kind of you to reply and a great site you sent me. My c drive is FAT :oops:. I wrote e-mails to the guys that run the site
    Comments Inserted (CI)

>From: (msingle)
    >To: (account updated)
    >Subject: Your Wilder's post
    >Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 06:48:47 -0700
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >Don't know if this will help or not but here goes:
    >
    >1. On the emergency repair it depends on what may ultimately happen to your
    >data. A lot of different scenarios could come into play. It's been a long
    >time since I've worked with NT so I'm kind of muddy.
    >
    >2. One thing you may can do is to go to
    >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/NTFSDOS.shtml and download the
    >NTFS disk from there

BTD: Trouble is my C is in Fat (as I recall). Also I was looking at the utility NTRecover v. 1.0 which requires a serial connection. Like hooking both network cards together? Or what? Do you know?

and then if you have a DOS (95/98 version) boot disk

BTD: The only thing I have like this is the emergency repair disk sent with Norton Anti-virus.Or the Emergency Repair Disk. Apparently I can't enter DOS through the former, can I the later?
    Do you know if there is code avialable somewhere where I can copy it onto a floppy to restore C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\RPCSS.EXE or else remove the Firewall? Then what is this 'Distribute.com Services', though? Maybe they're not even related? I can't figure out why my keyboard works during the boot procedure (PS/2), I can access the Bios &c., but won't work in NT (It's an intelli-mouse) o_O There must be someway of correcting that?

>boot into DOS and use the NTFSDOS utility to recover your stuff so that you
    >can use it on another computer.

BTD: Sounds pretty nifty, but I think it would create a problem with the c being in fat? This computer I'm on now is runing Win 2000. Probably would lose my data?

>
    >May work, may not. But it's worth a shot.
    >
    >I'm about to leave to go to town for a few hours but if you have any
    >questions you can email me back.
    >
    >Hope it helps a little!

BTD: Anyone that kind and caring helps, Mark. I'll post this to the group also. If you have more answers or think of anything your e-s are always welcome.

- removed email address of msingle

4. msingle

Booting into DOS, from a boot disk, would hardly ever cause you problems even on NT because in effect you're not booting into NT but the OS that's on the floppy disk. I've booted into DOS on NT/2000 machines for troubleshooting purposes without any problems that I can ever remember.

You can go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download one of the Windows 98 bootdisks from there if you need to.

If you can get into DOS this or another way you should be able to just copy your documents onto a floppy. That doesn't mean your machine is fixed it just means that your documents (as long as they aren't corrupted in some way) should be retrieveable.

On the serial connection question that just means hooking a serial cable to the serial ports of both computers. Network cards aren't really involved. I did this long ago for troubleshooting purposes but don't remember the details.

Don't know the answer to your other questions right off hand.

5. chagrined

chagrined Guest

can't answer the program won't let me keeps signing me off my address is cribblecobbles@hotmail.com
    sorry Pieter if you don't want people posting their e-mails due to spywear or whatever then please get your system fixed. I have recently been the victim of cyberterrorism by some wacko vigilante going by the name of David Ritz who has accusing me of spamming various newsgroups and he might have followed me here and is now ******* with my machine. If someone is playing a trick on me with these log offs &c you are contributing to me losing an important civil rights appeal my interfereing with my attempt to have my system fixed. I apologize if I'm wrong but will refrain from using this site all you have to do is ask

6. blazintommyd

My attempt to reply to Llama again:

p. 738 of "Running Microsoft Windows NT Workstation V. 4.0" by Craig Stinson and Caril Siechert (MS Press) states:

"If your Winnt directory is on a FAT volume, and you can boot your computer with another ooperating system (such as MS-DOS . . .) you can copy the files from the Emergency Repair Disk to your\Winnt\System32\Config folder"

Now the loader program will not allow me to enter MS-DOS (see original post above) as the 3rd alternative after NT and VGA, but if this disk you recommend can deliver me to DOS what would the aforesaid command be? Said text offers no further instructions.
    Actually it seems I would need to delete the 'distribution.com services' file (?) which replaced C:\Winnt\system32\rpcss.exe file and then copy this latter file from the Emergency Repair Disk to the Winnt\System32\Config file? Is the C:\Winnt\system32\rpcss.exe file even on the EMR? Can I put the EMR in this computer running Win 2000 and "find files" thereon?

This is really over my head

Also as far as copying documents, some of them are Pagis doc files of court papers which are 1MB per page

7. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The recommendation made by Pieter about not posting your email address has nothing to do with what's allowed here. It is simply what we tell people for their own safety. Some people don't know about the dangers of posting their email addresses on forums and news groups.

If you want to post your email address, that is not a problem at all. We just like to warn people that they may see an increase in spam as most forums like this are scanned by spammers trying to harvest valid email addresses.

And no one associated with this site is trying to knock you off or prevent you from posting here. The site software works for most people, as far as staying logged on is concerned. If you are having difficulty, we can try to help with that.

See the General Topics forum here for some discussions related to this same problem - ie. staying logged in here based upon either cookie or browser setting issues.

And, let me wish you the best of luck resolving your current PC problems!! I wish I could add some valuable input on how to fix it, but, at this point I don't have anything too helpful to say. Very sorry!! :doubt:

But, be assured you are most welcome here!! :)

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

8. msingle

To blazintommyd sorry I can't be of further assistance. But in the context of the last few posts I would appreciate you taking my email address out of your post above from where you copied and pasted my email to you.

Thanks and I hope you figure it out.

9. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Taken care of. ;)

10. blazintommyd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.