Time to open VSS...

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Atomas31, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi,

When I make a copy/update of my archive (on external hard disk) from my primary snapshot, FD-ISR take more than 5 minutes only to start microsoft volume shadow copy (VSS), is this a normal time? Is there a way to reduce that time?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That is way to long. I would change to RSS, and make sure that is okay, then change back and see if it still is that long. If so I"d email Raxco support.

3. Atomas31

Hi Peter2150,

Done! I just send an email to support...

Thanks,
    Atomas31

4. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Also check that your VSS is set to automatic in "services" under your administrative tools tab.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

How do we know if FD-ISR is using VSS as opposed to RSS? I never see a microsoft volume copy prompt and besides i changed via the cmd over to RSS at first install but done a reinstall because i fudged things up by using a same name routine but everything returned and works normally as the first time?

6. Peter2150

If you are using VSS, you will see the the statement Starting Microsoft Volume Shadow Service(or something like that) before it starts the copy process. If you don't see that you are using RSS

Pete

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Then RSS stayed in place even after a reinstall. Kool, thanks.

Is there nothing this program can't do, like send out for coffee or tea?

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Re: Compressed Snapshots

"Bleu, bleu, l'amour est bleu." That's what I sang when I saw my very first compressed snapshot.

Alot of BLUE and a little black here and there, too much blue if you ask me. It makes you feel uneasy. You have to get used to all that blue, nothing but compressed files.
    Compressed snapshots are indeed smaller in size, about 25% for a pure system partition : WinXPproSP2 + Applications.

I'm already used to the new splash screen, which was the main reason why I installed build 202, the second reason was member "mata". I find it more striking than the old one and that's good.

I don't know why everybody was making so much noice about VSS and RSS and God knows what regarding build 202.
    I only noticed one new thing until now : "new compressed snapshot" in the Destination Snapshot Screen and I didn't have any problems with creating two compressed snapshots. :)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No you don't. Get Tweak UI for XP and go straight to EXPLORER-->COLORS

Compressed Files
    Hot-Tracking
    Encrypted Files

Mine are now RED!!! in place of default Blue

10. ErikAlbert

Well, my off-line and on-line snapshot = system partition [C:] is now completely compressed.
    I also archived/restored both snapshots and did a backup/recovery without problems, using the Acronis Rescue CD.
    In other words : build 202 works flawless.

11. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I also sent an email to Raxco about the time it took to start VSS as opposed to RSS, this is what they said

Thanks for contacting Raxco support.

There isn’t much that can be done to speed up the time that it takes to load VSS. VSS is a windows service and will take as long as it needs to load.

If you wish to revert to RSS then please let me know and I can send you the instructions.

I have stayed with VSS.

12. Atomas31

Hi,

I received the exact same message...

@ErikAlbert

Do you mean that I could make a compress snapshot of my primary snapshot on my C (call for example, secondary snapshot) and be able to boot into this secondary snapshot eventhough it is compresso_O

Thanks,
    Atomas31

13. ErikAlbert

Thanks for the suggestion, I know and use TweakUI since march 2006.
    But I like to keep things normal and the blue color reminds me that I'm using a compressed snapshot, because FDISR still allows you to use uncompressed snapshots.
    I don't really need compressed snapshots, but I like to use them for only one good reason : if there is ever a problem with compressed snapshots, I have a good reason to increase my post counter and to contact Raxco in order to fix it.

Archived snapshots cannot be compressed and you could consider this even as a small disadvantage. Very INTENSIVE users of FDISR will have ALOT of archived snapshots, because they are unlimited, while bootable snapshots have a maximum of TEN.
    After all you can store ANY POSSIBLE SITUATION in an archived snapshot, that might be usefull in the future.
    Of course with all these big harddisks (internal and external) nowadays, this is hardly a problem.
    Thanks you for your attention. :)

14. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Your Very Welcome. I went out today and added yet again more hard drives for my ARCHIVE collection. Better to be more safe then sorry than the opposite which is peace of mind that your programs can rest safe & sound inside a BOOTABLE snapshot when Copy/Update is needed or even wanted for some function.

15. ErikAlbert

Of course, my off-line snapshot is my haven of refuge, when my on-line snapshot is in serious trouble. Every FDISR-user has such a snapshot as refuge.
    All my snapshots in my system partition are now compressed and I boot in both, using the F1-key in the new FDISR Splash Screen, just like before.
    Your harddisk has about 25% more space, if you use compressed snapshots.

If you don't trust compressed snapshots, you better keep on using uncompressed snapshots, which are still possible in build 202, but I didn't see any problem with using them.
    What kind of problem would you expect if you would use compressed snapshots o_O

16. Atomas31

Is not that I was expecting problems, it's just that I didn't know that we could make secondary compress snapshot and still be able to boot on them :blink: By the way, does booting in a compress snapshot take longer than in an uncompress snapshot?

17. ErikAlbert

Maybe there is a slow down, but you better test this yourself.
    1. Copy/Update one of your existing snapshots to a new compressed snapshot.
    2. Boot in your uncompressed snapshot and boot in your compressed snapshot and you will see the difference.
    3. Also open applications in your compressed snapshot to see if there is a difference.
    4. If you don't like it, remove the compressed snapshot and everything is back to normal.
    :)

18. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

VSS never worked for me, I had to change to rss....

19. Atomas31

Hi nixie21,

Did you inform the support of Raxco about your problem with VSS? If so, what were their answer?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

20. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

YOu know, I do not believe I did.... Is VSS faster? If so I will shoot a email over...

Thanks

21. Peter2150

No, but still it should work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.