time spent on security

Discussion in 'polls' started by bigc73542, Jan 8, 2004.

?

Please select the aprox. time spent on security a month...

1. 1/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2/hr

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 3/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4/hr

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. 5/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7/hr+

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. more - comment please

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have been trying to sort out the security angle of computing for at least eleven years and I still have a lot to learn simply because the nature of pc security changes every day due to the new types of malware created almost hourly. I personally don't think anyone can ever have it all figgured out due to the constant change of what you are trying to guard against.But then it never hurts to try ;)

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi-

just a word on what i meant by have it all figured out because i was at least partly serious.

Performance! The thing that really hooked me was performance. You can have good security and poor performance, but can you have bad security and good performance? I don't shut down phone homes because they scare me, i do it because they waste my system resources.

i had ad-aware AND spybots AND a popup blocker before i had an anti-virus OR a firewall. Now i have more security, but lets face it the need for it is greater.

i dont have any spam filter at all, never have...i just delete the stuff without opening it. i am my own spam filter. it used to make me mad, now it just makes me wonder...

i have read 'experts' say this or that security application is more stable than that. More stable?! If i see ANY instability in a program. I dump it.

performance, stability...they are the main point to me!

3. bigc73542

I agree with you on software if it works well keep it if it doesn't dump it. I also am my own spam filter, I know better if I want to keep or delete an e-mail than a software program. ;) But if you do get it figured out please let me know what magic spell you used. :D

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I spend a minimum of six hours per day on security-related issues.

I use Opera and/or FireBird because that way I can get 20+ windows opened up and start reading, cross-posting info and occassionally helping people.

I also constantly run full scans with all the programs I have when they update so that I can help nail down FP's and debug/make suggestions for improvements to new releases (that's a large part of the reason why my current HD is expiring).

It helps take my mind off of life. Pete

5. bigc73542

sounds like a plan to me ;)

6. JayK

JayK Poster

Spare me the sarcasm.
    We all know how "technical" I am. (not!).

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, everything is relative. Maybe you do not consider yourself "technical" and that's fine because a person can always learn more, but I have a lot more to learn than many in these forums (and I am NOT being sarcastic). :)

Acadia

8. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

at least you have an explanation for your HD...mine just failed system test just one year old. tomorrow i will explain to the vendor how they need to give me a new one!

9. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Between constantly updating and looking for new software, it's got to be at least 7. I doubt if that's really enough though. :doubt:

10. bigc73542

It seems like it takes more time to keep a pc secure all the time. One thing for sure it will always take some effort to keep the nasties out. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.