time spent on security

Discussion in 'polls' started by bigc73542, Jan 8, 2004.

?

Please select the aprox. time spent on security a month...

1. 1/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2/hr

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. 3/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4/hr

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. 5/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6/hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7/hr+

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  8. more - comment please

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I would like to see how much time the members here at Wilders spend on pc security a month.

Attached Files:

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm, how about an option that says "All hours"? :D

That would describe me. Granted, it's not all "my security", but it is pc security. ;)

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Much more than 7+ hours a month ... just read all of my, um, important and serious posts in 10-Forward, for example, right now Beetlejuice and I are about to battle it out with a dishwasher and a jackhammer. :rolleyes: (Actually, I really do spend that much time on pc security, most of it still learning and most of it from you fine folks).

Acadia

4. bigc73542

I stated mine at five hours but in reality it is probably twice that ;) It is definatlly an ongoing battle.

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I think i would fall somewhere close to this category ;)

snowbound

6. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Why does it only go up to 7 hours a month? Count me out then :)

7. bigc73542

It goes to 7/hr+ which would be from seven hours to infinity, thats a really long time infinity. :D

Attached Files:

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

7+ will do nicely thanks. :D

No need to be reminded how much it really amounts to.

Pieter

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

..vote option added ;) sorry, Pieter :D

Voted first...mmm :mad:

regards.

paul

10. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

"More."

:D

11. JayK

JayK Poster

I think an hour per week is reasonable for me. So maybe 5-6 hours, factoring in time looking at logs , dealing with FPs etc.

Time spent here reading this forum doesn't really count as security, it's more of a hobby. The security of my computers probably won't suffer much if I don't read this or related forums like Spywareinfoforum

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Not counting time spent in security forums I spend more than 7 hours a month on security.Especially the last month.
    If I consider updating M$ and the security programs that I use,scanning,looking at firewall logs,and program trials it's easy to rack up the hours.

Any amount of time spent on security is time well-spent IMO. ;)

13. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

Definitely more than 7 hours

perhaps 7 hours a day dealing with security issues in various other forums and reading the posts here to get the cures and keep up to date with new baddies found and bothering Pieter and Tony with the problems found when I can't find an easy cure

14. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Is there anyting else, besides security? :eek:

yep, it's my job, too :D

15. subratam

subratam Registered Member

i am not close but in this category... if security means learning bout security too and hou to b safe...

16. bigc73542

It looks like the members at wilders do practice what they preach==SECURITY== :D

17. JayK

JayK Poster

That's because you spend time on non-essential tasks.
    Certainly trialing a dozen firewalls and whatnot almost every day isn't necessary to security.

If you are a typical homeuser, who doesn't see security as a hobby , you seldom if ever trial new products.
    Upating would take probably a couple of seconds, even if set on manual.You might scan your logs, but even then, you probably wouldn't spend much time, analyzing and reporting them.

So for those of you who say you spend "all hours" , I'm concluding either you are an administator of a huge network, or you spend WAY too much time, downloading ,installing and testing every new security related app, you hear about. That sucks up a lot of time.

And if it's your job, of course that doesn't count too.

Lest, the newbies who read this think pc security is too hard and you need to spend "all hours" on it, please understand that most people here are addicted to tweaking their system , trialling new software etc to enhance security (or so they think anyway as they search for the ultimate firewall or whatever).

Nothing wrong with that, but that certainly doesn't mean you can't be secure (by almost any standard) without spending as much time as the guys in this thread do.

There also appears to be an element of boasting in this thread, where people brag they are SO security conscious cos they spend so much time on it.

18. Paul Wilders

JayK,

It boils down to the definition from "security" in the context of this poll. People who are busy trailing software, reading, surfing boards could very well be spending time on security - as the subject from this poll is.

You are quite right in saying being busy with security related issues does not necesseraly imply the one's who do actually do have a secure system.

Then again, the subject line doesn't state "are you convinced your system is secure as a result from ?? hours a month time spent on security matters" ;)

regards.

paul

19. JayK

JayK Poster

That might be an interesting poll. Or what is the minimal amount of time you could spend on security and still consider yourself to be comfortably secure .

That would perhaps be a more thought provoking question, are you spending too much time on security?
    How much of the time you spent is strictly necessary and how much is just trying to satisfy your curiosity and keeping up with the latest and greatest ?

I have being considering such questions, and I suspect the answer in my case is too damn much.

20. Paul Wilders

JayK,

One way or another, there should be a comonly accepted definition from "security" for starters ;)

regards.

paul

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No matter how much time I spend on pc security, and I mean the serious stuff not the 10-forward sugary fluff, I still feel my pc is INsecure. Yes, much more secure than the average home pc user but that’s not saying very much is it?. It’s like I’ve said many times in many forums: One can never start patting oneself on the back and say, "My system is finally secure" ... THAT'S when you'll get nailed. Heck, if the multi-million dollar firewalls of the Pentagon can be hacked into, and they have been, what chance do I have? (Although the Pentagons computers would be a much more interesting target) It’s like they say, "If a burglar wants to break into your house bad enough, and if he is a pro, he’ll get in". All one can do is make your home (pc) uncomfortable looking enough for the vast majority of bad guys who are not pros. So what does one do? ENJOY LIFE and if that means computing and surfing, GO FOR IT!! Yes, you stand a chance of getting killed every time you hop into your automobile, does that mean you stop driving? You can’t let the bad guys control your life thru fear or they win. It’s kind of like here in America, we can’t let the terrorists control our lives thru fear, we must continue to live our daily lives normally like we always have (although I’m afraid at this point the terrorists are winning).

I practice so much pc security because I find it interesting almost fascinating, but I am not an expert. When some of you, like you Jayk and many others, starting getting technical, you all go WAY over my head. One time I was corresponding via a forum, I think maybe even this one, with Kevin the creator of BoClean: What the hell was he even talking about?! (He was telling me, well us, about a new Trojan that can actually TURN YOUR PC BACK ON after you’ve turned it off, yikes!) ... but I still enjoy all of this stuff and the camaraderie in this forum and besides, each time ya'll get a little too technical for me, a little more usually sinks in and stays with me (I’m learning!). In my opinion the most important thing I personally can do for the security of my pc is simply not to store any sensitive information on my system: credit card numbers, social security numbers, etc. Kill all of the auto complete stuff in IE. I assume that one day I will be hacked, so I try not to keep anything interesting in my system. (I also assume that one day I will be in an automobile accident, so I wear my seatbelt, drive a car with airbags and scores well in the government crash test, but I don't stop driving) Even with all my carefulness, I had a credit card cancelled because someone hacked into a company’s system that I had done business with. Moral of that story: do not allow a company to store your credit card number for "easier checkout the next time you shop" and check all banking and broker statements with a fine tooth comb.

Anyway, sorry to ramble (just had two cups of coffee). The moral of the story: just enjoy life and surf without anxiety. I’m thankful to Paul, the operators of other forums, and the posters who know more than me, for helping me and many others "tighten up" our systems. See ya around.

Acadia

22. bigc73542

Since wilders is a security forum And I did want to know how much time the members spent on security I would have to be all inclusive on testing and personal pc security. Hey give me a break it is my first poll. :D ;)

23. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:D Some of us actually work in security, including realtime and virtual/pc. I had to put in more than...300 hours per month! I get paid for a little more than half of them. The rest are a hobby. I feel/am more secure but any seasoned security veteran will tell you -- Don't get too comfortable!.

Reactive security (what a lot of people do when a new worm comes out in the wild) can work if you have an excellent understanding of what to do about it. It's best to be proactive, which means you do a security audit of the unit while asking questions about how you might deal with potential problems based on what you (and your buddies) know. I use both techniques in my work. As for my hobby, I feel I still have a lot to learn. Gettin' there. ;)

24. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

I do not even want to count the number of hours I spend a month on PC Security.

It sometimes seems I cannot spend enough time for it.

Now if I could get my son to spend more time on PC Security I would not have to fix his computer when he comes home from school.

Randy

25. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

sort of alot....

...only, i feel its important to add, its only temporary. I am very close to having it all figured out, and at that point i will just drop by to read posts as an acedemic excercise.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.