Time Required for Validation

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by LenC, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I am running TI V9 (3677) on a Sony Vaio Laptop.

When I create a recovery file onto an external HD, it is about 28G. When I validate it from Windows, it is successful and takes about 25 minutes. When I recover from the recovery disk, it is successful, but takes 3 hours.

Is that time differential normal, or is it something to be concerned about?

Thanks,
    Len

2. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I meant to say "when I validate from the recovery disk, it is successful, but takes 3 hours"

3. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

the linux boot disk can be slower. If you are feeling adventurous search the forum for Bart PE and you will find threads telling you how to make a boot CD that runs windows and it should be faster.

Phasechange :cool:

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

how large is the HD on your laptop ? If you have the space it might be a lot quicker to make an image to another partition on your lap top and to then copy that image to your external drive for storage.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Len,

The reason for the difference is that the Windows USB drivers for your motherboard are much more efficient than the Linux USB drivers on the Recovery CD. The difference is just about right for the external drive to be running at USB 2.0 speed in Windows but only USB 1.1 speed in the recovery disk's Linux environment.

That's annoying, but it's nothing to be concerned about. It just means that a recovery will take about 7-10 times longer.

A Bart's PE disk would use the Windows USB drivers and run a lot faster. Whether that is worth while depends on how often you expect to do a recovery. If it's only if you have a major problem, it's probably not worth the effort.

1. I'd be very interested to know what chipset is shown in Device Manager under USB for your Sony notebook.

2. If you have access to an Adaptec USB 2.0 PC card, I'd be interested to know what speed you see if you connect the external drive that way.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  6. LenC

LenC Registered Member

John -

In response to your questions...

1. I'd be very interested to know what chipset is shown in Device Manager under USB for your Sony notebook.

Intel PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller
    Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller -24C2
    Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller -24C4
    Intel(R) 8280 1DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller -24C7
    USB 2.0 Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

2. If you have access to an Adaptec USB 2.0 PC card, I'd be interested to know what speed you see if you connect the external drive that way.

Don't know what that is - so I assume I don't have it o_O

And thank you for your response - very helpful.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, I'd expect an Intel USB chipset to be supported, but it may just be too new to have a good Linux driver, at least that Acronis found.
    For older notebooks like my Dell Latitude C600 which has only USB 1.1 ports, I bought an Adaptec PC card to add USB 2.0 speed. It goes in the PC card slot and is automatically recognized by Windows XP. It's a great upgrade for an older computer that doesn't have USB 2.0.

I'm trying to find out whether it would work on a system like yours to give you full USB 2.0 speed with the Recovery CD, but the card costs about $50, so I wouldn't expect someone to go buy one unless they knew it would work.
    I noticed that no one had actually answered the question that you asked although they provided some usefull information.

Thanks for responding.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello LenC,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We would need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly.

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Provide the exact vendor and model of the external hard drives you use. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files, information and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.