Time for full backup in TI 9.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by baabbott, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baabbott

baabbott Registered Member

I bought TI 9.0 a while back and have done a full backup and (assuming I'm doing it correctly) the backup took over two hours for about 35 gigs of a 60 gig HD. Is this a normal time frame? I am backing up to another internal HD and I set True Image at "high priority".

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Backup time varies based on combination of hardware in your computer. That isn't too bad. Did that time include validation of the backup archive?

Are you using something close to the latest build for version 9? Should you download & install a more recent build, don't forget to make the a new Rescue CD.

3. baabbott

That time did NOT include validation. I'm using 9.0 , Build 2323. So it sounds like it's in the ball park. I just had no starting point...20 minutes or 20 hours!?, so thanks GroverH for the info.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You are running a very old and buggy build. Update to B3677 or the latest B3854. I recommend B3677 its very stable.

5. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Creating a backup to another internal hard drive should be the quickest method of all. This comes into its own if you backup "Live" while in Windows. 35 GB should be possible in as many minutes or less if you have a powerful machine. It may be a bit slower if you are running from the rescue CD.
    Select normal compression as this gives the best speed/size combination. I leave my PC backups on normal priority since they are scheduled to run when it would otherwise be idle.
    An uninstall and update to build 3677 would be a good move for several reasons though I doubt it will speed up the process very much.
    Don't forget the obvious such as running Disk clean up to eliminate any build up of temp files, binned items and un-needed system restore points before the next backup.

Xpilot

6. baabbott

Thanks Thomas and xpilot.

Also, another question. When backing up to a partition on my second HD, should I delete the earlier full backup before attempting the new full backup or is it better to have a partition large enough to do a full backup and then delete the old one?

I tried to do a backup last night and got a "disk is full" message apparently because my partition is not large enough to hold BOTH the old and new full backups.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  7. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Following the "just in case" principle it is always better to have more than one backup image.

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It is potential disaster to only have one backup. If something is wrong with it or you accidently delete it you are toast.

Solutions are to buy a bigger internal HD, copy the image off the HD to an external drive or burn images to DVD after creating and validating on the internal HD.

I always make my images to a second internal HD and then copy them else where for additional security. I do not copy every image I make though.

If you don't have a USB HD then you can create your image on HD and then copy it to DVD using your favorite DVD burning program. Be sure to use the burning program's "verify after burning" feature. You do need to set the archive split size so the files will fit on a DVD. This is found in the options either under tools or within the backup wizard.

I am not a fan of directly creating the image on DVD which TI will let you do.

Basic rule of thumb when making an image backup using TI in Windows (not the rescue CD) is that it takes about 1 minute per GB of normally compressed tib file. Even though this is a very rough approximation your time does seem long, I would have expected 30min or less but it does depend on hardware and what is running.

9. baabbott

Thanks for your reply seekforever.
    I've been considering getting a portable external drive to backup to as well.

Regarding the backup time: It took about 4 hrs. to backup about 30GB to my internal HD. I did download the newer build 3677 to TI as recommended by earlier replies to my post. It does seem like a long time.
    My machine is a Dell 4550 with 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4, 533Mhz bus, 1Gb ram.
    Not a powerhouse by todays standards, but it still seems like the backup should go faster. The backup was done from Windows (not rescue disk) at normal compression and high priority. No other programs or apps were running.

By the stated 'rule of thumb', that's about 8 mins./G.

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Your machine should be faster. By any chance do you have a background defragging program running?

Try booting up the TI rescue CD and make an image with it and see how the time compares. This is a Linux environment and typically the speed ranges from the same as Windows to much slower. Usually a speed reduction in the area of 2X is rather typical. While it isn't comparing apples to apples it does remove anything Windows is doing from the equation since the disk is now static - the Linux uses is memory-resident and doesn't rely on the disk for its own operations.

11. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Very roughly, about 1 minute per GB is a good baseline. If a usb 2 drive is involved, you can double that. If USB 1 or 1.1 or CDs or DVDs are involved, fuuuuuuggetabowit...., then we're talking time increases that are multiples of 5 or 10 or 20.

12. baabbott

I don't have defrag running in the background and I did do a "disk cleanup" and defragged the C: drive prior to doing the FOUR hr.o_O backup of about 30G.

I'll try using the TI rescue CD later and see how that goes.
    Any other suggestions? Would having Norton Antivirus running have anything to do with the long time to backup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

13. shieber

shieber Registered Member

It might be tdoing an on-access scan with each file write. You can try disabling Nosy Norton (at tleast the AV portion) and see if it helps or try specifying the ATI files rights in Norton -- I don't remember how to do that in Norton but I know yu can -- I think you have to search out each ATI .exe file one by one. An updated Norton might automatically recognize ATI -- but gien Nort's rep, it could still be slowing you down.

If you're worried about not having protection while Nort is disabled, just remove the internet connection while Nort is disabled, although you can probably get things working without having to disconnect the cable.

good luck

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello baabbott,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build (3854) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the problem, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers for older versions and install it with disabled logging.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

- Reinstall the drivers with enabled logging;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please make a screen shot of the Device Tree application the way described in this previous post.

Please also try performing the operation using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and see if the problem persists.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

15. baabbott

I used the bootable rescue media and was able to backup 27 gigs in about 27 minutes. I'm thinking that Norton AV has something to do with it.

Marat, regarding your instructions...I don't know what installing drivers "with disabled logging" means. Can you help me out here? Thanks.

16. baabbott

I made an image after booting up the rescue CD and it backed up 27G in about 27 min!:) Norton may be the culprit.:doubt:
    I contacted Norton's tech support and they said:

To disable Norton from startup, please follow the steps given below:

- Click Start > Run. This will open the RUN dialog box.
    - Type the following and then click OK:
    - Msconfig
    - This will open the System Configuration utility.
    - click on Startup Tab and located the "ccApp".
    - Uncheck "ccApp", click OK.
    - This will prompt you to restart the computer. Please select the
    option to "restart".

After you run the backup, please follow the same steps to recheck ccApp in startup.

This did not help at all. I tried disabling all "Startup items" by unchecking it in Selective Startup in msconfig and that didn't help either.

17. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

My five cents, just for the collection of statistics using TI v10
    0.9 min/1G of data to image to USB2 HD, 0.8 to validate on XP-Home-SP2, 3Ghz speed, 1G memory.
    I would think that ANY antivirus has to, by definition, slow down when "on access" is enabled. I notice a slight increase in speed with ZA security suite running with the AV component disabled. With AV on, it'll run 1G/minute, slightly less to validate.

18. Acronis Support

Hello baabbott,

During the installation of the drivers you will be presented with a choice whether to enable logging or not. Please choose according to instructions in my previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

19. baabbott

This is an update of previous problems with TI 9.0:

After numerous emails to Acronis and several suggestions by them to try and get TI 9.0 to backup in 30 minutes instead of 4 hours!, now the software does not work at all.
    Whenever I try to start a backup, I get a message that says "Application module error". I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times and I get the same message.

Any ideas anyone?

20. Acronis Support

Hello baabbott,

Could you please let us know your Acronis request number (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? We will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

21. baabbott

> Marat,

> Acronis #1089541. We're still emailing back and forth but have not
    resolved
    > the issue yet.

22. Acronis Support

Hello baabbott,

Please notice that your support case is being forwarded to our Expert team. You will be contacted as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

To answer the question in your last e-mail, please check the size of Windows system information file you have sent - if it's below 1mb, then the message was delivered correctly.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.