Time Concern

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rainwalker, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

For the past year or so my Windows clock will change time zone. It will always subtract three hours. This has been happening more of late. It concerns me. Any ideas ?

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

You happen to be using Windows 7? My Windows 7 clock seems to get off time often. It seems to happen at random times because sometimes it will fall behind 10 mins and other times an hour or two. However opening the time/date panel and rehitting the sync gets it back on time/ I have yet to find a fix though.

3. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

Count one more with a similar issue on W7.
    Others are: double click to open file or folder doesnt work (only allows single click), and w7 wont recognize older card reader (usb issue)

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Well count that another one of us :eek: I first noticed it about a month ago.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

6. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

OK....Thanks all....it was helpful :)

7. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

8. Heimdall

Heimdall Registered Member

Personally I let my router sync with pool.ntp.org and my LAN syncs with the router...

9. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wat0114, you're welcome! Let us know if successful. Take care.

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well I guess its a good thing to know I am not the only one experiencing this. If I remember correctly MS did release a Windows 7 update that was suppose to fix a bug in the Windows 7 Time system. It helped a little but every once in a while it does randomly change.

11. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You bet I will, though it will be a couple days because that's about how random it's been :p

12. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Interesting to see this many people with time issues. Don't forget that you can use any of the other 4 time servers listed with the Windows time sync, and that by hacking the registry you can add any server you want.

Also check your CMOS battery, regardless of the age of your machine. I have seen brand new motherboards come with bad batteries.

Also if you log on to a domain it may snyc with the Domain Controller, and if that is in another time zone you may pick up the server's settings.

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

BTW, just an update on the fix I tried, unfortunately it didn't work; the time changed to 7 hrs ahead last night :( Maybe it's a recent MS update, not really sure o_O

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

wat0114, sorry to read about that. I'm up-to-date with all MS updates in my Win7 64-bit PC and my clock never misses a beat.

Here's another take: Internet Time Sync problems on the same subject, dealing with command line sync. Worth a try.

15. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Thank you again, JRViejo! The problem is a minor nuisance only, so I haven't researched it in-depth as yet, anyway, though I'll certainly give your latest link a try :) Next time it happens I'll check the event viewer and other logged areas for possible clues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.