TIM9.1WS USB 2.0 and NDAS problems?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paulf123, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulf123

paulf123 Registered Member

Hi there!

It seems to me that TIM9.1 when booted from rescue media does not run USB 2.0 drives at USB 2.0 speeds. Perhaps it has to do with what USB chipset is being used although I have tried a few.

Basically it seems to me that running over 100Mbit Ethernet is considerably faster than USB 2.0? So I went out and bought and NDAS enclosure. When I select NDAS in TIM9 via rescure media it accepts the keys and gives it drive letter D. When I try to create and image it proceeds to try and write to CD-RW = as drive D! (CD/RW does not even show up in the previous selection for destinations.) I cannot get it to write to the NDAS it keeps trying to burn to CD. Whats going on?

Thanks!

2. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

The ATI Rescue CD uses Linux and, using a USB drive, it takes about 3 times more to restore/archive compared to Windows.

Again, the ATI Rescue CD uses Linux O/S and changes drive letters to something different to Windows. Suggest that under Windows you change the description of your USB drive to something like "HDD_Backup". Then under the ATI Rescue CD, just pay attention to the drive title and not the drive letter.

The ultimate solution = BartPE boot CD with Mustang's ATI plugin. Look at Mustang's thread on how to build a BartPE disk. Worth the effort.

3. paulf123

paulf123 Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the BartPE solution and WOW USB is WAY faster! Only problem is (especially on slower systems) a lot of time is wasted just booting the BPE environment... I wander if there is any way to speed this up (I disabled as many plugins as I thought I could but not sure about installer, certain menu items etc. etc.)

HOWEVER my original post was regarding NDAS... in the BPE environment this is completely missing! Actually I see that the option only appears using the rescue media and to boot it does not work (as described below when NDAS is selected it connects to the device OK but when trying to write to it, it chooses CD instead.)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello paulf123,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as mfabien mentioned Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware, including USB devices with 2.0 interface.

The reason for the issue you have experienced could be that the drivers for the particular device was not included or the existing drivers do not work properly. In order to provide you with a possible solution we will need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image, because each new build brings such improvements as better hardware support etc. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Also, make sure that you recreate the Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue Media using the latest build.

If you already using the latest build, please do the following:

- Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

- Provide the exact vendor and model of the NDAS and hard drives you use.

- Describe your consequent steps taken during the image creation.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

5. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Try BartPE CD without powering up the USB drive. Once you have the Acronis menu, power up the USB drive. It will come up in the structure tree but, if it fails, in the command line enter the USB drive letter and you will get a drop-down menu with the list of archives.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.