TIH 2009 fails to delete all files of a backup set

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MKairys, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

I have backup sets consisting of a full backup and eight incrementals. I go to the Manage Backups UI, select one of the sets, and choose Remove from the context menu. I get an error dialog saying "failed to remove the files, show log for details". However there is no log entry at all.

When I look at the files I see the incrementals were removed but the full backup was not. I can delete the full backup file in Explorer without problem.

This happens consistently.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MKairys,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image

Acronis True Image Home 2009 stores information about the backup archives in a metadata information database, you must manage backup archives (e.g. delete some of them) by using the program's tools and not Windows Explorer. To manage your backup archives, go to the Manage and restore screen by clicking Manage and Restore on the Welcome screen or selecting Backup and Restore -> Manage and Restore on the sidebar.

Therefore, please make sure that you don't select the archive that was deleted by means of Windows Explorer. Actually, this archive is not present at the system, but it is still present in Acronis database.

Thank you.

--
    Oleg Lee

3. MKairys

I believe you misunderstand. I went first to the TIH UI to delete the set of archives. It gave me the error I described, and removed the archive set from its listing. I then went to Windows Explorer and saw that all the archives except for the first (full) one had been deleted.

4. Acronis Support

Hello MKairy,

Please note that our software create a log for each operation you started. And it must display the log from this operation.

Please check Tasks and Log -> Log, and increase time period. It will show you the entries for the deletion operation.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

5. MKairys

You are correct, there was a log entry. I was mislead by the fact that when I clicked "Show Log" in the error dialog I was not shown the log entries from today; but I was able to see them by reselecting the time period. (This seems like a separate bug).

I see for each of the 10 files in the backup set the warnings "File I/O error" (error code 0x40011) and "The system cannot find the file specified" (error code 0xFFF0). However 9 of the 10 files are in fact deleted successfully; only the full backup file is not deleted. So it seems there are multiple issues here.

I have repeated the sequence of operations and taken screenshots from each step, and also saved the log file. I would be happy to send this all to you by email except I have not received an acknowledgment for the case I opened (or tried to open) on 3/28.

6. MKairys

Support contacted me by email. They said my installation of TIH was "corrupted" and I should uninstall, run the Acronis Cleanup Utility, and reinstall.

I did all that, and the only change was that now when I click "Show Log" on the error dialog I am taken to the correct log entry.

7. Acronis Support

Hello MKairys,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Do the following to delete all Acronis schedule tasks:

- Download the http://www.acronis.com/files/support/schedmgr.exe file ;
    - Start the Command Prompt from Start -> Programs -> Accessories menu;
    - Run the following commands in the folder you saved the file to:

schedmgr task zap
    schedmgr service stop
    schedmgr service uninstall
    schedmgr service install
    schedmgr service start

This should delete all the scheduled tasks on the PC. You should manage your scheduled tasks from the scratch.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

8. MKairys

With all due respect I find the previous suggestion unhelpful at best. That this problem should have anything to do with scheduled tasks seems unlikely in the extreme. Not only would I have been put to useless time and effort to delete and recreate my scheduled tasks, I would run the risk of breaking procedures that seem to be working correctly, such as my incremental backup tasks that depend on the task description, as modified by the last run of the task, to know what to do.

In fact the problem was spotted by Gurprakash Singh of Acronis Support, who has been working this case. He observed in a screenshot I sent him that TIH 2009 had made an error when it created its central archive database, on the first run after installation. It found and included backup sets from TIH 11 with the backup location's naming scheme, 2009_03_12_19_00_17_995D for the full, then D2, D3, ... for the incrementals. However it assigned an incorrect path to the full backup file, as can be seen in the attached screenshot.

If anyone has a similar situation, where backup sets created and named by TIH 11 were imported by TIH 2009, it would be interesting to see if similar errors were made at the time.

failsToDelete.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.