TI9 v2323 Nightmare Scenario

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mhallerman, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

No prob Detox - didn't mean for it to stray too far...Sorry.

Mark.

2. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I have the advantage of having a multiboot system, so I test TI on other than the main OS. THen when done, I mere;y use REtrospect, or whatever backup program, to restore the OS to its pre-TI state.

IMNSHO, TI would be a better product than Ghost, if it worked, not to mention Symantec's poor support.

I've just been looking at TI for when I build/buy my next computer.

For those of us using multiboot systems, an image backup, such as TI, is a better tool than a file-based backup merely because of the way system sate is handled by file-based backups. Dumb image backups don't care about such things, that's why they are better for multiboot systems.

3. Howard Kaikow

I believe that certain types of product comparisons are OK here.

For example, if a poster is frustrated by TI and states that they are going to try prodct X, it is useful to allow such posts because:

1. It lets Acronis know what needs to be done to make happy customers and retain/increase market share.

2. It's also useful, if others can point out that moving to product X may not be any better.

3. Lets Acronis learn what features in other products are desired by current/potential TI users.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  4. mhallerman

Good points.

5. mhallerman

Again, good points in my opinion. But I see Detox's earlier point... Oh well, I would like this thread to remain here on the off-chance Acronis decides to try to help....

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

We're all allowed to have our opinions, but board policy is board policy and this is the support forum, not a general or comparison forum (which I have linked to!). Continue with comparisons and I will close the thread or edit/move the posts as necessary. Any issues with Wilders' policies may be discussed with administrators (the guys/gals with the red names) in private, not on the board.

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

At this point, since it hasn't gone too far (my first post was an attempt to warn or otherwise keep individuals from continuing down the comparison path in the wrong forum section) it will remain. You will see the same thing all over Wilders, for instance, NOD vs KAV threads do not belong in the NOD support forum, they go in "other AVs."

8. Howard Kaikow

Your name displays as blue in my Firefox 1.5.
    I'll try IE and Opera.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

My name is supposed to be blue; I ama Global moderator, not an admin ;-) You can find the owners (obviously also admin) and other admin listed in this thread.

10. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

And that's the way it is.

In case anyone feels inclined to do so: administrors email addresses can be found in their profile. Please take into account our policies have been set up very carefully, and there's little chance we'll change them unless for very good reasons.

regards,

paul

11. boulmiche

boulmiche Registered Member

Hi mhallerman
    did u try after uninstalling to clear/empty temp (the one under Documents and Settings\*user*\local settings\temp) folder from previous TI installation remnants, as well the registry? sometimes it helps...

12. mhallerman

Error E000101F4: Application Module Error

(Always willing to try again :) )

After experiencing numerous issues with the SZ under 2323, I have completely uninstalled Ti, including all steps in thread detailed my Menorcaman.

Reinstall of 2323 works fine, but upon starting the app and various functions within it I get the error as stated in the Subject line.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
    Mark.

Attached Files:

13. Kiwi52

Kiwi52 Registered Member

Re: Error E000101F4: Application Module Error

As there is no comprehensive configuration info, any answer would be a guess but I would look at a memory problem as a first possibility.

Can you swap out your system memory sticks for some trusted ones to check that yours are OK?

Are you running some customizing software (Stardock or similar) that might be causing memory conflicts?

Do you have the latest most robust video driver for your graphics card?

Are there any TSR utilities running that you can disable, to test their impact on TI?

These are the steps I would suggest since you have followed all the steps that you can to ensure a clean install of TI. If all else fails, can you return to build 2302 until a bugfix or other download can be found?

Sorry I can't be more definite but I was looking at software/OS issues as a solution to my own particular problems and the answer turned out to be TI's memory pounding algorithm, testing my system memory past its limits. 2302 is stable as a rock now but it was seriously flaky until I resolved the memory issues.

I haven't downloaded 2323 yet and won't until I'm certain that it's worth it. So far it's not a necessity for me - guess I'm lucky, judging by the level of complaints here in this forum.

Cheers.

14. mhallerman

Did everything BUT that Boulmiche :) Will give that a shot too now....

Thanks,
    Mark.

15. mhallerman

Re: Error E000101F4: Application Module Error

Kiwi, thanks for the comprehensive info:

(Can you swap out your system memory sticks for some trusted ones to check that yours are OK?) -

I don't have other memory SIMMS I can use, but I believe they are fine. No other errors except for this one in TI.

(Are you running some customizing software (Stardock or similar) that might be causing memory conflicts?)

Possible, but I disabled and/or unloaded EVERYTHING except for the bare minimum....

(Do you have the latest most robust video driver for your graphics card?)

Yes, did that too....

(Are there any TSR utilities running that you can disable, to test their impact on TI?)

Disabled everything, still no luck.

I in fact tried to go back to 2303 and that too now has the same "Error E000101F4: Application Module Error" issue.

Thanks again for the info...
    Mark.

16. scaa

scaa Registered Member

The forum is meant to be a place for interaction among users and providers.In case of problems we need response from the support team. I feel if support does not respond to important issues concerning the product even within 48 hours(which is more than reasonable considering any time frame) gradually comparison though not desirable,has to creep in.
    Detox could have first responded to the problem before thinking of removing the thread elsewhere.:oops:
    THE FINAL LOSER CAN ONLY BE ACRONIS AND NO ONE ELSE

17. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Moderator decisions are not open for discussion, any issue with a Moderator can be addressed to the Administrators of this site.

Regards

Blackspear.

18. Anon2

Anon2 Guest

That's okay ... you did a lot better than me.

I tried running a restore of my Windows partition using Acronis TI 9 - my image was reported as "corrupted" and then it resulted in an "operating system not found" error.

I had to do a complete reformat which caused the loss of data of ALL my partitions.

Corrupt heh. B**$#IT - I used the EXACT SAME IMAGE from TI8 boot CD and it restored flawlessly. I still lost my data though - I'm overseas at this point in time and lost most of my holiday photos.

I've already spoken to a lawyer and will go through the EULA in detail when I have some time at home.

I'd stick to running from a boot CD & TI8 for now. And no - I will not run the report utility - moot point seeing I couldn't even boot up my system and have reformatted everything.

19. mhallerman

Horrible - sorry to hear this -

Have a safe trip back.

Let us know the upshot w your TI experiences...

Best,
    Mark.

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Any reason why you didn't try the TI 8 boot CD before you carried out a complete Format of all your partitions?

Regards

21. Anon2

Anon2 Guest

Well ... because I was overseas of course :p I didn't have the TI8 boot CD with me.

I had to reformat, run the Toshiba recovery DVD. Then download Acronis TI8 from my hotel room - log onto Acronis & copy down my serial number. Install Acronis TI8 - then create the boot CD from a blank CDRW I had in my laptop bag. I had only bought a copy of a "clean" image file with my portable HDD so that was what I restored.

Ended up downloading the trial version of GetDataBack for NTFS to recover my holiday photos and then wrote off the rest of my data (mostly music/journal articles etc...) as i "ought" to have them backed up on an Acronis image back home.

Acronis TI8 worked great btw ;) Just Acronis 9 - restoring an active Windows partition without a boot CD was asking for trouble ...

22. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Anon2,

O.K. Thanks for the clarification.

Regards

23. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mhallerman,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I do not know why exactly, but for some reason this thread remained unnoticed since December 5th. Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

You've posted quite a lot of questions and so I'll try to summarize all of them and provide the answers "in-line":

I've merged this thread to the current one, since both of them are related to the same problem.

Could you please check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Please also make sure that you use Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2323) of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Please also download the latest version of Acronis drivers and install it with disabled logging.

If any of the problems listed above still persist then please collect the following information:

Regarding the problems that occur when Acronis True Image 9.0 is running from under Windows:

- Enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file;

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly you received them?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

As for the problems that occur when using Bootable Rescue CD:

- Create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

If you will not be able to create a sysinfo.txt file for some reasons then please boot from the Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the selection screen appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

- Have you received any error messages? What exact error messages? When exactly you received them?

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Could you please do the following?

- Uninstall the program by following Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add or Remove Programs->Acronis True Image

- Install the above mentioned Acronis drivers package;

- Install build 2323 of Acronis True Image 9.0 then.

If that does not help then please do the following:

- Launch the product installation file;

- Right-click on the "Install Acronis True Image" button and select "Extract";

- Select the path for extracting the component and click "Save";

- Go to the Run prompt (Start -> Run) and issue the following command:

msiexec /i msi-name /l*v log-name

Where msi-name is the name of the file you extracted in steps 2-3 and log-name is the path and the name to the log file you want to save the output to;

- Reproduce the problem and collect the log file created during the installation.

Please also collect the following information:

- Create Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

I'm really sorry for such a long delay with the response.

However, please be aware that you can always submit a request for technical support either by filling the form on Acronis web site or sending a letter directly to support@acronis.com. We do guarantee the response within the 48 hours period in this case.

Please read more about Acronis refund policy here.

In case you want to get a refund for your purchase of Acronis software, please submit a request for technical support describing the issue and containing the information confirming your purchase of Acronis software (order number, e-mail, where did you purchase our product, copy of invoice, scan copy of receipt, etc.). One of our support engineers will certainly help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

24. mhallerman

Thank you Alexey.

Actually Eugene responded to me last night and said he would be assisting me - should I continue with him or here online? If "offline" with Eugene, I have no issues posting the answers once we find them, but however you guys want to work it is fine here, just let me know...

Thanks,
    Mark.

25. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mhallerman,

Since further investigation requires some files to be sent, I would recommend you to proceed with Eugene's assistance.

However, please feel free to post back with the results.

Please also let me know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456]) which can be found in the subjects of the letters that you received from our Support Team, so I'll be able to track the correspondence.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.