TI9 rescue CD sees USB drive but won't perform any functions, help please

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bob13, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob13

Bob13 Registered Member

On a Win 2000 Pro system I have the C hard drive, and a USB external drive. My TI9 is Build 2323. When I make a clone or a disk backup from the desktop, the software works perfectly.

But when I boot from the rescue CD and select Full Version, TI9 fails to operate as expected.

If I try to clone C to the USB, TI9 shows both drives just fine. But when it gets to the Operation Progress screen, it hangs. The C drive spins and nothing happens.

If I try to do a Disk Backup, then suddenly the USB drive is not visible on the list of available destination drives.

What am I missing here? If the C drive crashed, I'd be unable to recover.

2. como

como Registered Member

Acronis support will tell you to first update to the latest build 2337 when installed burn a new bootable disk and see if this solves your problem.

To obtain access to updates you will need to register on the Acronis web site

If this does not solve your problem then post back

3. Bob13

Bob13 Registered Member

I registered a year ago, so I downloaded and installed 2337.

I'm frustrated at this. The boot disk still does not recognize the USB external drive at the point of cloning (or of backup). It only sees it on the initial screen, then hangs. Seems like Acronis will not be able to help in the case of a crash. Any other thoughts please.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

A check of Help/About on the opening Acronis screen should show build 2337. If this is not true uninstall the current build and reinstall 2337. If a reinstall was needed then make a new rescue CD and try again.

Xpilot

5. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

If that usb external drive is connected via a hub, remove the hub and connect the usb drive directly.

If you are using a front usb port try a port at the back of the desktop.

I have three different usb enclosures and the drives in them can all be seen by TI 9/2302

6. Bob13

Bob13 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. The build is 2337 and the rescue disk came off of it. I only have USB ports on the back of the computer, and it's a standalone so I guess that means there's no hub?

The problem I mentioned above still exists. There must be a simple solution because none of you are experiencing it. Thanks for any additional ideas you may have.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/bf1300/banghead.gifhttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/bf1300/banghead.gifhttp://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b254/bf1300/banghead.gif

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Bob13,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If none of the above posted suggestions helps then please also try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt);

Please also note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

- Let us know the exact vendor and model of your external USB hard drive.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. Bob13

Bob13 Registered Member

Thank you. I responded to the above with a full description and links as requested but to date I have not received a response from tech support.

I tried the clone procedure off the rescue disk one more time, but this time I didn't touch the keyboard for 15 minutes. And I discovered that the rescue CD was in fact making the clone after all!

The problem is in the PROGRESS BARS. They do not show any colored animation and remain BLANK during the process (on my system anyway). So it looks like it's hanging when it's not.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  9. Acronis Support

Hello Bob13,

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

10. Bob13

Bob13 Registered Member

Sorry, but I did not receive an autoreply to my letter.

I suppose this means I need to send another letter. Please advise if you don't receive that one. Thank you.

11. jeanm

jeanm Registered Member

Hello,
    I got the same problem with build 2323 and 2337:
    From the rescue disk started with the full TI, trying to save the C: partition on an USB drive, the process starts normally, then after a while it seems to hang and the progress bar indicates 10 hours left to complete. Only the USB disk activity led is lighted; the C: disk activity is off.
    After 3 hours the progress bar indicates 11 days remaining.....
    Tried also on FireWire external disk gives the same problem.
    Backup on the same drives under Windows XP is working perfectly (less than 1 hour to complete the same task).
    Any explanation ??

12. Acronis Support

Hello Bob13,

Please be aware that this problem is known. It has already been forwarded to our Development Team and will be fixed in the future builds of Acronis True Image 9.0. We'll let you know when the fixed build will be available. Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address. We will find out the reason for the delay with the response.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. Acronis Support

Hello jeanm,

Please be aware that the issue you have described is not the same as the one Bob13 has encountered.

First of all, please check each partition of both your USB and Firewire hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

If the problem still persist after checking the hard drives then please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either then please also check whether your external hard drives are connected to the PC through a hub. If yes, then please connect them directly. You may also try connecting the hard drives to another USB\Firewire ports.

If the problem still persists then please create Acronis Report and Linux system information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please keep your external hard drives connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

14. jeanm

jeanm Registered Member

Hello Alexey,
    Thanks for your answer.
    I did the test with "quiet acpi = off noapic" and it works slowly but it works.
    For example to backup a 11.8 Gb partition to a firewire drive, it takes 1 hour and 18 minutes with the rescue cd (and the acpi statement), while it takes only 24 minutes using TI under Windows XP (to backup the same partition to the same firewire drive).
    Anyway it works and hope this will be corrected in a future release.
    Thanks for all.
    Regards

15. Acronis Support

Hello jeanm,

If you want us to proceed with the investigation of the "speed problems" you encountered then please submit a request for technical support containing Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in my previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.