TI9 Newbie question about deleting backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by msmisfit, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmisfit

msmisfit Registered Member

I promise, I have read/searched the forum to determine how to delete the oldest backup, now that my external drive is nearly full, but have found nothing that makes it *clear* to me. :oops:

I can't just delete the file through Windows Explorer, right? How do I do it through Acronis? I am making only full backup images.

mm

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Where is it stored?

If it is just stored in a regular folder you can delete it using Windows Explorer. The archive file(s) are just that, files.

If it is in the Secure Zone then download the User Guide and see the rules on how TI manages backups when it get full. The Secure Zone is not accessible from Windows so you have to rely on TI in this case. This is the reason that those of us who do not want automatic management of the space and who do not need a Secure Zone for any other reason don't use it.

3. msmisfit

First question, they are tib files stored on my external Maxtor drive.

Not using the Secure Zone, and wasn't aware of automatic management of the space... so I'm in the dark about that too. Anyway I could figure this out now with your help to get a backup image before the next round of MS updates tomorrow? ;)

mm

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Since they are just files on your external drive just delete the ones you don't want in Windows Explorer.

You don't need a Secure Zone. It's primary reason for existence is for people who have only one drive with one partition on it. Setting up a SZ automatically creates a special hidden partition for storing backups. Like I said earlier you cannot do anything with the files outside of Acronis which means you can't delete them or copy them to another device.

When you create your image be sure you validate them after creation and if you haven't done so, make sure you can validate the image on your USB drive by booting up the TI rescue/recovery CD. This is the method you will need if your HD goes bad so make sure you can at least do that much. The only proper testing of your backup method is by actually restoring an archive - until you have done that you cannot say with any degree of certainty that it will work when you need it.

5. msmisfit

Thanks, I was afraid that would mess up however the Acronis software works.

I have validated all my previous images, but I've never restored one yet. I've got to get a little more confidence to try that I think, but I know you are right.

Thanks so much for your quick response. :)

mm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.