TI9 can't handle LINUX LVM partitions? TI8 can't either

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dwynne, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwynne

dwynne Registered Member

Using a TI9 boot CD (latest build) to try to image backup my LINUX box. It sees the main partition as

Disk 1 pri 74.43gb 0x8E (LINUX LVM)

Since it shows "blank" for space in use, it is trying to backup 74.43gb of data - not the few GB of space actually in use. I tried my old TI8 (also latest build) and got the same result.

When will TI9 support LVM and correctly back up just the space in use?

Can I change the LVM parition to something else TI9 DOES like? I have Disk Directory 9 and 10 plus maybe some LINUX tools?

In the past I have been able to use TI8 to backup LINUX partitions and space backup space - at least I am pretty sure this worked before.

I also have the newest version of Ghost and the old Power Quest tools, if someone thinks/knows one of those WILL properly back up the VLM part.

Thanks,
    Dennis

2. kobi

kobi Registered Member

I recently had the same problem, unfortunately I resolved this by rebuilding the box and manually partitioning the box "without" LVM scheme. I love acronis true image, and hopefully they will support LVM in thier next linux ti build out. If you need to rebuild your to support True Image, you can use http://www.mondorescue.org/ (it supports LVM) and then rebuild. HTH

3. dwynne

dwynne Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

This is the first time I let a LINUX install partition my drives for me "automatically" and I ended up with the LVM.

I guess I will look for a way to re-do the partitions w/o having to re-do the whole box (convert LVM to Ext3).

I will wait to see what Acronis supports says as well, maybe they will support LVM correctly sometime soon. It has been out for quite a long time, but maybe it is not high on their list since their are free LINUX backup programs around?

Dennis

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Linux LVM partitions will be probably supported in the future builds/versions of Acronis True Image. I'm sorry, but the exact time-frame for that is not decided yet.

If you want us to change the behaviour of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.