TI9 can't complete install on WinXP Pro x64 SP2

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cdagnon, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdagnon

cdagnon Registered Member

I read the features and reviews (though the manual doesn't seem to be available online??) and purchased Acronis True Image 9.0, brought it home... and it won't install. I enter my key, select Complete Install, and it starts - the progress bar fills up twice, then empties almost completely! I expect it won't help much, but here's the dialog box:

Installation Incomplete
    The installer was interrupted before Acronis True Image could be removed. You need to restart the installer to try again.
    Click "Close" to exit.
    I looked in the system logs and found errors:

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {BC866CF2-5486-41F7-B46B-9AA49CF3EBB1} to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

After a LONG look eventually found a KB article about the 10016 problem
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=899965

However I tried that as worded and it doesn't work (fails with that user), so after a slight variation (user: NETWORK SERVICE), I no longer get the System errors, but True Image gives the same install error.

Whether or not the XP error matters, has anyone gotten this to work on XP Pro x64 SP2 (may not have any other updates)? If so... how?

Thanks,

-Chris

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, cdagnon

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

I think you will find you have one of the early Bulids of the x64 supported [?] version, which did seem to do as you have reported.

I would advise you to get the Latest Ti Build 3677, and you should have no problem installing on your XP x64 OS. [with luck :eek: ]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. cdagnon

FYI: I also tried the command-line install described in the manual, eg. copy the msi file to the hard drive and try:

msiexec.exe /i AcronisTrueImage.msi ADDLOCAL=ALL PIDKEY=... /qb+

It starts a GUI and looks like it might finish, but near the end pops up another box saying:

Acronis True Image
    Acronis True Image Setup failed.​

Other ideas? Perhaps more importantly, how do I find out what is going wrong?

4. TheQuest

5. cdagnon

Alright, I'm downloading the 3677 version... I didn't see anything about x64-specific stuff though.

However I would like to say I'm peeved at the whole "9.0" and "9.0 Home" editions. The boxed edition says NOTHING about it being a Home edition, yet it sounds like it is. CompUSA even has both versions for sale (9 and 9 Home), the Home edition being much cheaper - though it looks like they use exactly the same boxes. What's up with that??

Oh, and thanks for welcoming me to the forums :cool:

6. TheQuest

Hi,

I do not know the answer to that, you best ask CompUSA. :blink:

And thank you for the thanks. :D

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

7. cdagnon

It works! I hope. I made an image of one drive and verified it in the initial write and a couple times afterwards (just in case).

I was surprised that it listed the Normal compression reduces it to about half the size and take an hour, but less compression takes almost twice as much time and space. Odd estimates.

It also seems odd that my box was marked as delivered a week ago but didn't have a 3677 build on it.

Thanks for the help!

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cdagnon,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

First of all would like to said that Acronis True Image 9.0 and Acronis True Image 9.0 Home are the same products. The price difference you have mentioned is related to the fact that as far as I see from this web page on CompUSA "Acronis True Image 9.0 Home" ($32.99) is the instant download version and "True Image 9.0 by Acronis" ($49.99) is the boxed version.

Please note that most probably the installation file on the CD disc in the boxed version was burned when before the build 3677 of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home was released. Also as TheQuest said even if you have the boxed version of Acronis True Image you can download the update on Acronis web site. At this moment the latest build of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home is 3677. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please be aware that estimated time and image archive size are quite approximate, as different types of data allow different levels of compression and require different amounts of time to be compressed.

We also recommend that you take a look at Acronis True Image 9.0 Home FAQ page, Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide and this article providing the illustrated instructions on Acronis True Image 9.0 Home installation and usage.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.