TI7 Cannot do sched incr backup to network drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Kilili, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kilili

Kilili Registered Member

I'm trying to do Scheduled backups backups to a permanently mounted network drive.
    I can do a manual full or incremental backup with no problem. However, scheduled backups always fail, with a msg like this:
    "Must be details text! User name or password is incorrect for remote source [blah, blah]".

I've tried this both with and without filling in the network login specification.

Since my system is a member of a domain, I also use a domain\user spec for the name. I've also tried using only the user name. In both cases, the password validates, but both fail with the msg above.

At this point, I've run out of ideas.

Oh, TI7, build 634, win2000 Pro with all current maint. Target system looks he same.

Ken

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Try using the UNC name for the share, rather than the mapped drive letter.

3. Kilili

Kilili Registered Member

Just tried that, get same msg.

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Create the exact same local id (same password also) on the target machine as you are using on the machine to be imaged. Leave id and password blank in trueimage. Try with and without UNC. Report back.

5. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

For what it's worth, I have posted a short while ago my findings on network permission problems with scheduled backups

Since I have not tried having a scheduled backup write to a network share until after switching to ATI8, I cannot say whether or not this is a new issue with version 8, or whether it's something that has been around for a while.

But there is a problem. In my case, I have found a workaround (UNC path) so I have not bothered to dig any further into the issue.

6. Kilili

Kilili Registered Member

The target machine did have the same id and pw, and I've done both with and without UNC. To be positive about it, I wend back and did it over again. Same fail each way.

7. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Hmm, well I'm doing it with TI 8 Server, so although it works fine I guess my advice will not help you. The only other thing I noticed when I just checked it was my user has a "blank" password. By the way, I am using UNC path.

8. Kilili

Kilili Registered Member

Re: TI7 Cannot do - another small piece of info

I find that there is no problem scheduling a full backup, only the incremental backup is a problem. This seems even more mysterious to me.

Also, I've tried this with both non-partitioned drives and a partition within a drive.

Ken

Last edited: Sep 24, 2004
  9. Was having similar probs, but discovered that if I entered the username:

DOMAIN_or_MACHINENAME\user

where it asks for what user to run the job as, it works OK.

Also be aware that the user must have admin rights (or at least the right to access the network)

10. Kilili

Kilili Registered Member

I've tried both, with no luck.

Ken

11. alankuehnau

alankuehnau Registered Member

I just upgraded to TIS8 and followed the "use the UNC" advice and it worked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.