TI2009 Rescue CD and Video Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GSimard, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GSimard

GSimard Registered Member

I never had any prblems with the rescue CD in the previous releases of TI until I started to use the rescue CD from TI 2009 Build 9709.

On one computer, P4 with Nvidia GeForce 6200, when I boot the initial screens are OK until I select the "Full" version, then the video resolution changes to something where I have to scroll all over the places to see the whole screen.

On a different computer, P3 with Nvidia RIVA TNT the initial screens are OK until I select the "Full" version, then the video resolution changes and the screen is filled with vertical bars ... nothing readable and I do not have a mouse anymore.

I cannot use the Safe mode since I use an external USB HD drive which is not visible in Safe mode.

I tried the various solutions on this forum including the "quiet, vga=0x301" but it has no effect.

What did Acronis screwed up in TI 2009 Build 9709 and is there a work around?

2. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

There are 2 similar threads like this. I think that one solution was to contact Live Chat and request a custom ISO boot file that will work with your hardware.

3. GSimard

GSimard Registered Member

I contacted Acronis yesterday and I downloaded the IsoLunix file TrueImage9709_multiparam_Standard_english_il.iso. Burned a CD and tried the 6 available options at the startup screen. None of them worked. I always end-up with either a screen with vertical lines or a black screen with a few large square colored blocks.

I then tried a few more reboots with this line on the "boot:" prompt:

kernel.dat initrd=ramdisk.dat ramdisk_size=55884 vga=0xXYZ quiet

where "vga=0xXYZ" was replaced with some values found from various posts in this forum. Still no useable video. I know the computer is compatible since TI worked OK for v9, v10, v11. Acronis broke something in TI 2009.

The Acronis dude on the Live Chat session told me he would do some more research and email me a solution. I am not holding my breath on that one.

4. dwalby

dwalby Registered Member

Is it possible to use an older version boot disk with .tib files generated by a newer version?

It would seem possible that the basic imaging engine doesn't change between versions (at least some versions). If that's the case then it would seem likely that the boot disk from an earlier version could be used to do a restore.

Anybody know if this approach is possible?

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I haven't tested this with TI 2009 and older .tib files, but generally, newer .tibs are reported as not being backup archives by the older rescue CD.

6. Serville

Serville Registered Member

Are you saying backup archieves created by a version of TI can not be restored by another version? Poor compatibility ?
    That is very surprising. No wonder my friend told me to avoid TI (as I was considering buying the Home version to replace my trusty Ghost2003). He told me that he failed to recover his backup archive (created with TI Home 11) using Echo Server 9.5 Boot-CD from his company. He said the image was corrupted. But when he used TI Home 11 BootCD, the image was restored successfully.

Is the compatibilty of archieves created by different version of TI really that poor ?

7. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Tib files I think are only backwards compatible for a few versions not all versions. There was a posting from Acronis Support about this late last year.

8. jmk94903

Note that the backward compatibility has not been a problem. A newer version of TI can restore a backup made with an older version. I've used the TI 11 rescue CD to restore backup images made with TI 8, 9 and 10 as well as 11.

However, your friend was using a TI 9.5 CD and trying to restore a TI 11 image. That won't work. The old version can't know what changes are going to be made in the later versions.

9. jmk94903

I just tried the TI 2009 Build 9709 rescue CD on my older P4 with an nVidia 6200 chipset video card. The screens are normal, just like they appear in TI 11 and earlier.

Note that this video card uses the nVidia 6200 chipset, but is a PNY brand. However, I'd expect it to behave like other cards with that chipset.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GSimard,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

In this case the only way to solve the issue is to provide Acronis Support diagnostic information:

1) Could you please do the following?

- Open Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Information;
    - Choose the "Save" option in the "File" menu (or "Action" menu under Windows 2000), enter the "File name" and set the field "Save as type" to "System Information File (*.NFO)";
    - Send us the saved file.

2) Boot from the latest media created;
    Hit the ESC key when "Loading kernel.dat....." string appears.
    After you get the "boot: " prompt, please input the following command:

kernel.dat initrd=ramdisk.dat ramdisk_size=55000

So, the boot line will be:

boot: kernel.dat initrd=ramdisk.dat ramdisk_size=55000

Press Enter and wait till the command prompt appears:
    / #

After that please type the following commands:

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /dev/fd0 mntdir
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo26.txt
    umount mntdir

Send us the sysinfo26.txt file from the diskette.

Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.