TI2009 Multiple Full Backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by stealth51, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stealth51

stealth51 Registered Member

I just upgraded to build 9707. The release notes did not mention a feature for multiple full backups. Is this feature still missing in the 9707 build?

2. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

" Multiple Full Backups" seems to be the default for me. I'm running an earlier version (9646).

I set up a scheduled task that should overwrite my full backup every week. But it never works - it creates a new backup by appending numbers at the end of the prior week's name.

3. stealth51

When I was running build 9646 my full backups would always overwrite the previous backup. Just the opposite of what you're experiencing. All I want is full backups everyday and retain only 4 backups at any given time.

4. Rick_G

Rick_G Registered Member

I did some research, and now I CAN explain what is happening. If you choose to split the image files, then you will have the same experience that I do - see this thread.

Apparently you chose NOT to split the image files, and the result is that Acronis will overwrite the full backup. Try choosing to split the image files - it may do what you want!

5. stealth51

Thnaks for the info. I'll test it out this weekend.

6. Faust

Faust Registered Member

I have full backups working in TI 2009 without issue - I have mine set to do two full backups and then it deletes a backup when running the third on a FIFO basis. In the scheduler when you get to point "create incremental backup" tick the box "create new full backup after" and select 0 as the amount - leave remove old archives unchecked. Then move to the automatically consolidate backups window. Check the box "automatically consolidate when number of backups exceeds" and put the amount you want in there. As full back ups cannot be consolidated Acronis will simply delete the oldest backup image and there you have it - job done.

7. mranybody

mranybody Registered Member

Faust,

Are you running build 9709 with this task setup?

My 9709 is having problems finding the .tib to carry out a scheduled task. I get an error to tell me so. I have the same task setup as you, so I was wondering if this is a reson why.

Thanks.

8. jehosophat

jehosophat Registered Member

Thanks Faust for this solution.

One of the key things here is the use of the "automatically consolidate backups" option. This option disappears from the screen if you click on Full Backup.

So to use the "automatically consolidate backups" option you need to click on Incremental.

I have just set things up the way you suggest. I will be able to confirm in the next few days that it also works for me using ATI 2009 build 9709.

9. Faust

Faust Registered Member

That's absolutely correct jehosophat and to answer mranybody's question yes using the latest build version of TI 2009

10. stealth51

Faust,
    I tested the procedure this weekend and it worked just as you stated. I'm now getting full backups everyday and retaining only three at any given time.

11. jehosophat

Based on the good advice here, I am getting now Full daily automated backups which is great.
    But the "automatically consolidate when number of backups exceeds" does not work when I put in 10. I can see users using 3 and 7 but has anyone got this to work with 10? Is this a bug is am I doing something wrong.

My task is set to : "Number of backups exceeds" 10
    "Storage period of old backups excceds (days)" this is not ticked.
    "Size of archive exceeds" is also not ticked.

So now I have 12 files one for everyday since 1st Feb 2009 each backup is around 9GB and is a backup of 1 partition.

The file names are:
    backup.jpg

12. jehosophat

Acronis Helpdesk have today given me a link to 3 new programs which I can apply to my scheduler to get it working as it should.

The programs are schedhlp.exe, schedmgr.exe and schedule.exe

On this occasion a rapid response from Acronis. So well done Acronis. Presumably these files will be in the next build.

I will report back to confirm that this fix works.

13. jehosophat

I have just re tested this and have the same problem that although I can do daily Full Automated backups I can not restrict the number of backup files to 10.

I can manually delete the old files so I have a work around.

Acronis I think uses the maximum files field (in my case 10) for consolidation purposes not for maintaining file names.

As the method for Full backup does not use incremental or Differential files then the file names used grow by one number each time. So today I have Mydocs15.

If running Full backups in this manner and the max number of files field has no effect then the field should be greyed out and users not allowed to enter data. I have made this point to Acronis. [ ref:00D3Zcb.50055YETd:ref ]

ATI2009 really is a downgrade in many ways.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  14. rkh

rkh Registered Member

Someone from Acronis posted a batch file that essentially makes the program work the way it should in regard to maintaining 'n' backups.

So now I have daily incrementals that run. Every 7 days those backups are moved into a sub folder just prior to the backup starting. Then when it starts, it does a full because no backups exists.

The batch file is part of the backup job and is run prior to each backup.

So I have this...

set1\ <DIR> 03/02/2009 03:00 ----
    set2\ <DIR> 03/10/2009 02:00 ----
    Vaiodesk2.tib 1,225,326,592 03/11/2009 02:10 -a--
    Vaiodesk.tib 135,242,027,008 03/10/2009 05:10 -a--

Inside set1 I have...

Vaiodesk7.tib 1,414,829,568 03/01/2009 03:11 -a--
    Vaiodesk6.tib 1,238,089,728 02/28/2009 03:10 -a--
    Vaiodesk5.tib 1,501,726,720 02/27/2009 03:10 -a--
    Vaiodesk4.tib 2,799,129,088 02/26/2009 03:45 -a--
    Vaiodesk3.tib 5,691,113,472 02/25/2009 03:17 -a--
    Vaiodesk2.tib 1,355,210,752 02/24/2009 03:09 -a--
    Vaiodesk.tib 130,869,114,368 02/23/2009 06:57 -a--

...and inside set2 is a more recent set of full+incrementals.

15. jehosophat

Thanks for that. I suppose I will have to contact Lice Chat to get the file.

16. rkh

rkh Registered Member

17. jehosophat

Thanks for that.

It is a shame that the people on the Acronis support desk dont talk to each other or have a standard response.

I have been talking to Acronis staff over the last 2 months and this solution was never mentioned.

:)

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello rkh,

Thank you for your interesting in Acronis True Image

Let us know if the issue is resolved. Did you use batch file successfully?

We are looking forward to hearing back from you at your earliest convenience.

If you have any questions concerning Acronis software I'm always ready to help you.
    Best regards,
    --
    Dmitry Nikolaev

19. rkh

rkh Registered Member

I can't speak for everyone here, but the batch file solved my specific issue. I just shared it here because it seems others were struggling with a similar (if not the same) issue.

20. jehosophat

Based on batch files posted here in the forums, I have created my own batch file. Thanks to all the various posters and threads on this subject.

Finally Full automated daily backups with "n" number of backups are now working.

Acronis support have advised me that a future build will put the functionality back in Acronis rather than this work around using batch files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.