TI10 says my new large HDD is too small or corrupted

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jim gallagher, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim gallagher

jim gallagher Registered Member

My original HDD (140 GB - master) is dying (bad sector errors) so I just installed a larger HDD (300GB) currently as a slave. My goal is to migrate the system and data to the new HDD before the old one dies.

(My computer is currently performing a CHKDSK on the original HDD so unfortunately I can only describe the error details from memory - but hopefully it will be adequate.)

I just installed TI10 from the CD and ran it right out of the box.

My first attempt was at cloning - but, working thru the wizard - chose source drive (original HDD) and destination drive (new large capacity HDD) accepting default actions - I get a message that the destination drive is either too small or has corrupted partitions and therefore the process has failed. The drive is plenty large so that is not the problem. It was partitioned (NTFS) into one partition - so I used TI to repartition it to FAT32 and still got the same message. Anyway, what difference does it make since the partition is going to be redone during cloning?

Then I tried just creating a backup image with the idea of restoring that onto the new HDD. The source was my original HDD, Destination was the new HDD. Towards the end of the wizard I got the exact same message about the destination HDD.

The same occurs if I run TI from the TI10 CD or from Windows.

I then ran CHKDSK on the new HDD with no error messages. (I ran CHKDSK on the Source HDD too which is still running)

Basically TI10 is having some difficulty with my new HDD which I don't understand at all.

The only other interpretation is that I am misreading the message - it explicitly refers to the destination drive - but since there is nothing wrong with that drive and there IS something wrong with the source HDD - I wonder is the source HDD is the cause of the message.

Thanks for your help. - Jim Gallagher

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

How is the new hard drive reported in the BIOS? Just curious whether such a large drive is confusing the BIOS. Do you have the latest BIOS upgrade for your system?

What is your system? Motherboard/chipset especially. IDE or SATA drives? What operating system?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  3. jim gallagher

jim gallagher Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. Those are good questions. I have some answers:

Size: 300.0GB
    LBA MODE: SUPPORTED
    BLOCK MODE: 16 SECTOR
    PIO MODE: 4
    ASYNCDMA: MULTIWORD DMA-2
    ULTRADMA: ULTRA DMA-5
    SATA MODE: SATA-IC1.5 Gbps
    SMART SUPPORT
    TYPE AUTO
    BLOCK (MULTI SECTOR TRANSFER) MODE: AUTO
    PIO MODE; AUTO
    DMA MODE: AUTO
    32 BIT DATA TRANSFER (DISABLED)

Because of you question I just did update the bios.:)

HP Pavilion a1013w Desktop PC

Motherboard description Motherboard manufacturer's name: ASUS PTGD-LA
    HP/Compaq name: Goldfish3-GL8E

Seagate SATA drive 300GB

Windows XP

I have made progress - but I am still having the same problem. Here is what I have done after reading your reply:

Uodated the BIOS

Then realized that there might be a transfer rate issue - The SATA 300 Gb HDD has a transfer rate of 3Gbps and the BIOS has 1.5Gbps listed - So I set a jumper on the HDD to limit the speed to 1.5Gbps.

Then checked to see if I have the latest ATI10 build 4871 and I do.

I can access the SATA 300 Gb HDD normally otherwise - I have copied files to it and the computer recognizes it with no apparent problem. So I am still baffled as to why ATI10 can't see it correctly.

Thanks for your help. - Jim Gallagher

4. KeithP

KeithP Registered Member

Jim
    I had a similar problem - one partition dying 160Gb with bad sectors. TI does not work with bad sectors (I suppose the logic is what it can't read it can't copy:)
    I was able to clone to an identical disk and after changing to master was able to reboot from it O.K. BUT, it took a l_o_n_g time about 16 hours. It's easy to think it's hanging when it takes that long:(

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Boy, I'm baffled also. The BIOS sees it. Windows can write to it.

Just as a grasp at a straw, did you check to see how your original 140GB disk is jumpered? Many systems come with drives jumpered Cable Select, CS, instead of Master/Slave.

Have you given the drive a name so that you can identify it in the Linux environment if the drive letter changes?

6. KeithP

KeithP Registered Member

Have you run chkdsk on the new drive? That's another thing that can take a l_o_n_g time on a large drive. Just a thought;)

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jim gallagher,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please download and install the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Don't forget to recreate Acronis Bootable Rescue Media after updating.

If updating doesn't solve the issue, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive and install unpacked MSI package.

If possible, please also try the following workaround: create the image on the old drive and restore it onto the new one.

If the issue persists, please collect some information to let us investigate it thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;
    - Reproduce the issue and collect the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Please also collect the exact vendor and device names of the hard drive in question.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.