TI10 gets an error when backing up C: to CD-R or CR-RW

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cpuwzd, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpuwzd

cpuwzd Registered Member

I just purchased TI10 with the intention of creating drive images of my three drives. My first task was trying to back up C: to CD-R or CD-RW. I have tried several times, and I always get 10% of the way through, which might represent a full CD, before getting an error. I've attached a screen shot of the log entry.

My hard drives are SCSI. My CD writer is IDE. I have 512 MB of RAM and 2 GB of virtual memory. I'm running Windows 2000 with all of the latest Microsoft updates. I'm also running PC-cillin.

Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

As I wrote in a previous post....

Hope that helps.

3. cpuwzd

cpuwzd Registered Member

As I pointed out in another thread, there is no option for splitting the backup into smaller pieces. At the moment, I do not have a DVD writer on this computer. Other than the sheer number of discs involved, do you see any other problems with using CD's rather than DVD's?

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

The length of time it will take. And if and when you try to Restore, you will be shuffling those CDs in and out of the drive in what would seem like an unending process.

5. Tabvla

Tabvla Registered Member

Cpuwzd, I quote from you last post...

I don't understand what you mean. ATI provides for archive splitting. I quote from the ATI v10 User Guide...

Can you explain what you mean.

o_O

6. cpuwzd

cpuwzd Registered Member

When backing up a drive image rather than selected folders and files (with the intent of being able to mount the resulting image as a virtual device when it is later used), there is no option for splitting, even though some references in the documentation seem to imply otherwise. For example, I remember a reference saying that if you split such an image, all pieces of the image would need to be present in order to mount the virtual device. Perhaps I'm confused and mis-remembering what I read.

In any event, since my last post, I installed a DVD writer. I've had no end of problems since then. When I tried to back up the root folder on my F: drive (which is a dynamic volume and therefore can't be backed up as a drive image), I got an error writing the first DVD. In fact, nothing got written on the DVD at all. I subsequently used Nero to burn an almost full DVD by selecting subfolders of the root folder. This worked splendidly, except that in 16X mode, the operation took about 70 minutes to write and another 70 minutes to verify.

After digging into a ton of on-line documentation, I determined that I was spending about 70% of my processor time servicing interrupts because the controller in my chip set was set to use PIO instead of DMA. I fixed that and got the interrupt and total processor time down to small numbers. I zipped the over 7000 files into a single file and did a time test without burning. The file was about 3.6 GB and the simulation took about 12 minutes.

I don't have any other experience burning DVD's so I don't know if this is par for the course. It appears that with CAV, 16X actually runs from 6X on the inner tracks to 16X on the outer tracks, for an average of about 11X overall. The shorter the compilation, the lower the average speed will be. I've decided to let this issue lie for the moment.

I just tried another backup of the root folder on drive F:. When the operation started, I noticed that ATI thought I was backing up to a CD and said it was going to break up the image into 700MB pieces. If that is really what it was going to do, I might as well have used CD's. I aborted the operation and checked the DVD. A session had, in fact been opened, so the medium was toast. I'm going to try again and see if I can get ATI to tell me that the medium is a DVD rather than a CD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.