TI10 File Size and Features?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pettyracing, Apr 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pettyracing

pettyracing Registered Member

I am currently using TI8 latest last version. I can't recall the exact file size, but I believe the program was around 20-25 megs. I noticed that TI10 is over 100 megs. What new feature(s) make this program 3x-4x larger?

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Excellent question. I presume it's partially due to the new features in TI10, as well as the "extras" (such as the BartPE plug-in), but 100 megs still seems fairly large for this type of program. I know that the downloadable full version of Norton Save & Restore, for example, is only around half that size (not sure what it extracts to, though).

Anyway, what I find disturbing is the update procedure itself. I recently ordered, but have not yet received, the retail boxed product but I'll bet it won't be the latest build (4942). Therefore, when I do receive it (probably within the next day or two), the program will already be outdated and I'm going to need to register and download a 100 MB file in order to get the latest build. I understand that the new build might not be a "critical update" but I fail to understand why Acronis can't provide incremental updates to this program that can be run from within the s/w, without the need to download the ENTIRE program from their web site.

Frankly, I'm already disappointed and I haven't even installed and started using the product. Downloading 100 megs every time a new build is released is not exactly painless for those with dial-up or a slower broadband connection.

3. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Well my Acronis is 101 megs too-must be that on a lot of them (the installation files). The actual program is 154 megs (from the 'add/remove' programs in the control panel. Hope that helps.

4. prius04

Thanks! I don't have a problem with the actual program size but most certainly do take exception to the method of updating the s/w. IMHO, having to download a 100 MB file every time a new build is released is a bit absurd and somewhat archaic. I have no clue why the s/w can't be constructed to update whatever components have changed between builds automatically (or manually from within the program). If NSR can do that, why not ATI? Maybe that's something that should go on the "Wish List" (if it's not on it already).

Although I understand that many of the new builds might not be "critical", if one has an issue with the s/w I'll bet the first thing Acronis support will say is, "...download and install the latest build". :rolleyes:

5. nb47

nb47 Registered Member

Well , my version # 10 works without an update so I'm not 'touching' that version. If it aint broke, don't fix it!!!

6. prius04

Well, in general, I agree with that 100%! It's just that there must be a rationale for releasing new builds; either bug fixes or a new feature or features. In the case of bug fixes, I think I'd want to have the latest build. Also, as I indicated previously, having the latest build installed is probably going to be a prerequisite for getting support if you have an issue.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pettyracing and everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that versions 9.0 and 10.0 of Acronis True Image Home are based on a completely new software "engine". In addition, version 10.0 of Acronis True Image Home has several new features like Backup locations (backup storage location with automatic archives management function), backup application settings, backup Microsoft Outlook etc. Also support of Microsoft Windows Vista was added into the version 10.0. Please check this previous post of mine that contains links to the threads about new features of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home.

In addition, the installation file is increased because Acronis True Image includes a plug-in for BartPE now.

As for the update procedure, please note that we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers who requested the update procedure you have described. This ability was taken into consideration.

If you want us to change the behavior of Acronis True Image in any way or add some new features to this product, please feel free to post any of your suggestions in Acronis True Image WISH-LIST thread.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

8. pettyracing

pettyracing Registered Member

Aleksandr:

Thanks for the reply and to everyone else for their insights. I do a complete backup on xp weekly, and I've restored a few items without incident. I still have ver 9 sitting in a box for months now. Never even opened it!!

I guess if I move to Vista, (have a copy in the drawer for a month now), I will have to upgrade to ver 10 to use it.

Right now I have a few backup programs I use to backup and outlook and individual files.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.