TI10 can't find my USB drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JeffTI10, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffTI10

JeffTI10 Registered Member

I just made an image of my main drive (C) on a Maxtor external USB powerd drive. When I open TI10 and select recovery, it does not show this drive. Thie drive shows under "My Computer" but not in TI10. Suggestions?

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

That's odd.

Just to be sure of what's going on:
    1. Power down your PC.
    2. Power down the USB drive.
    3. Reboot the USB drive.
    4. Reboot your computer while the USB drive remains powered on.
    5. Open TI and check under Restore for the drive.

You should also create a TI Recovery CD if you haven't done so and boot from it. Confirm that you can see the USB drive from the Recovery CD.

3. JeffTI10

Thanks for your reply, John. I can see the USB drive in the TI program within Windows. However, when I reboot from the TI10 recovery CD, the USB drive does not show up.

Jeff

4. JeffTI10

John, one othe thing. I can see another removable hard drive that does not use a USB port from the boot CD but not the drive powered only by the USB port. I've tried different USB ports with no better luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

5. AbdRahim

AbdRahim Registered Member

I have the same problem. Windows is behaving badly and I want to back up the hard drive from outside of the OS. When I boot to the TI Home CD, I cannot see the external USB Drive. The Weird thing is that Partition Expert 2003 has no problem seeing it.

6. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi Guy's,

One thing I noticed when I was doing a recovery, my back-up drive is my G drive normally but during the recovery process it was the D drive, make sure U really aren't seeing your back-up drive with a different drive letter in the recovery process!

Steve

7. jmk94903

Steve, that's an excellent point. Linux often assigns different drive letters from Windows. The easy way around this is to give drives a name. For example, a USB drive is called USB-250 for a 250GB USB drive while internal drives are C-Boot and D-Data, etc. It sounds sort of first grade, but it's very helpful when drive letters switch around.

8. jmk94903

The Recovery CD is a Linux operating system. Sometimes the Linux drivers are far enough behind the Windows drivers that a USB chipset isn't recognized under Linux. If that's the case, nothing on your USB ports will be found by the TI Recovery CD.

A work-around that costs a few bucks is to install a PCI card with USB ports that use the NEC chipset. Adaptec USB cards have normally used the NEC chipset. If you can plug your external drive into that card and see it, you have a working backup/recovery.

The alternative is to wait and hope that TI supports your chipset in the future. Weigh the cost of an Adaptec card against the value of your data multiplied by the probability of needing to do a restore to decide on whether the purchase is reasonable. I don't mean to do an actual calculation, but that's what the factors are.

9. JeffTI10

John: Thanks for your helpful replies.

Jeff

10. como

como Registered Member

Another alternative is to build a BartPE disk and boot from that, although the rescue CD can see my USB drive backup is very slow, from a BartPE disk backup is less than half the time of the Acronis disk.

If you do a search you will find many helpful posts on building a BartPE disk.

11. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

13. jmk94903

You are welcome. That's what the forum is all about.

Note Como's suggestion to create a Bart's PE boot disk. Because that uses Windows drivers, it will see your USB drive and work with it efficiently.

That gives you two alternatives. A "free" Bart's PE disk and adding a PCI USB card. Both have merits, but free is aways good. :)

14. JeffTI10

I'm running Windows 2000 Pro. Will the Bart PE disk work with this operating system?

Jeff

15. JeffTI10

Does this make sense. Do a restore from an image created on the removable hard drive that TI can see from the boot disk. I could always update it by doing a restore from the USB drive once I'm able to get back into Windows.

Jeff

16. jmk94903

As far as I know, the BartPE disks require Windows XP.

What you suggest will work fine. The other way is to remove the hard drive from the USB enclosure and mount it internally. I like your way better since you have an image already on the internal drive.

As soon as it is restored, copy the latest image from the USB drive to the internal drive and restore it.

For the future, always keep a copy of the latest backup on the internal drive plus one "aged" backup that you know is good. Copy new backups to the USB drive for storage.

Check new builds of TI for support for your system.

17. JeffTI10

I just had an interesting experience. I hit F11 while booting from my True Image 10 recovery disk and it recognized by USB drive!!! I was able to successfully restore a couple of files from the USB drive to my main hard drive. However.....it created another C:\ under the existing C:\ drive rather than restoring the file to its original location.

C:\C:\file name

When restoring individual files, I was not given the choice of restoring them to the original location. Any suggestions?

Jeff

18. jmk94903

OK, what does F11 do on your system? Did you install the Acronis Recovery Manager? That offers F11 as a way to start TI without the CD, but I don't like it because it changes the MBR. When the Recovery Manager is installed, there is a message very early in the boot process to press F11 to start Acronis TrueImage.

If you didn't install the Recovery Manager, what does F11 do?

As far as restoring from a file backup, there should be an option to restore to the original locations if there isn't then there is something important left out of file recovery. However, you can copy the files to the original locations. I assume that under folder "C" the full directory structure is shown so you can tell where the files go under the real hard drive C:\.

19. JeffTI10

Hi John: Within Windows, Acronic TI 10 gives me the option of restoring to the original location. However, this is not an available option from the recovery disk. Yes, I did install the Recovery Manager. If you think this was a mistake can I uninstall it and undo changes made to the MBR? Again, I appreciate your help.

Jeff

20. jmk94903

OK, so F11 brings up TI and in that environment, you can see the USB drives but not when you boot from the Recovery CD.

Did you make the Recovery CD under the currently installed version of TI?

If so, I can't see how the two Linux environments can be different with one seeing your USB drives and the other not. Of course, the USB drives must be attached to the PC and powered on when you boot up or they will not be seen.

21. JeffTI10

John: I agree that the drive should be visible both ways. . Let me spend some more time with TI10 and get back to you. I suspect I forgot to connect the external USB drive at the time I booted. Thanks for your patience and your help.

Jeff

22. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

Because I use an external USB CD-ROM drive, I cannot power-up my external USB HDD before booting either Acronis Rescue CD or BartPE CD... both CDs hangup because they are confused as to where to go to boot.

Once the Acronis menu is up, using either CD to boot, then I can power-up my USB external HDD. In both case, as soon as I put the proper drive letter E: in the command line, I get a drop-down menu of my different archives and can proceed to Backup or Restore.

By putting the Windows drive letter of your USB drive in the command line, see what is the reaction.

23. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JeffTI10 and AbdRahim,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as it was mentioned Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD is Linux based and has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. However, it could be possible that the drivers for the particular hardware you are using was either not added to the standalone version of Acronis True Image or the existing drivers work not properly.

We would recommend that you download and install the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home since each new build brings such improvements as better hardware support etc. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Please create a new Bootable CD using the latest build, boot your computer from this CD and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If this does not help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Please keep your external USB hard drive connected while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information. In addition, provide the exact vendor and model of the hard drives you use.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Please note that to restore the system partition Acronis True Image 10 Home will prompt you to reboot the computer into its standalone version, which uses the same Linux drivers as Acronis True Image Bootable CD. Therefore, your external USB hard drive may not recognize and the restoration will not be possible.

Please note that if you restore separate files/folders from the disk/partition image when booted from Acronis True Image Bootable CD the files/folders will be placed to a new location. The folder "Drive(C)" (in your case) will be created on the target drive. The files and folder structure will be preserved after the restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.