TI10 boot CD does not see SATA HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimklein, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimklein

jimklein Registered Member

I have the latest TI-10 4942 boot cd and attemting to make an image of my new Dell 530 with 320G SATA running Vista.

The Acronis boot CD says that it cannot find any hard drives - although Vista boots fine.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimklein,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create Acronis Report, Windows System Information and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

3. elecmayhem

elecmayhem Registered Member

I am having the same problem. Have you gotten any response yet?

Cindy

4. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You may want to try Mustang's Beginner's Guide to Create a BartPE CD. BartPE uses a subset of XP and windows drivers to create a bootable CD that can be used as a replacement for the Linux based Rescue CD. You can add drivers as needed which you can't do with the rescue CD. If you don't have XP you probably will have to wait for help from support.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello elecmayhem,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please collect the information requested by Michael Fedyulin. This information is needed to create a custom Acronis Bootable Rescue Media that will work on your system. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. rgreen4

rgreen4 Registered Member

First, I would do as the Acronis Support group asks.

Second, I have a question - is this the install CD or the restore CD created from the installation?

After I found your post, I was concerned as I have an HP Media Center with the ASUS MB and it is all SATA (as more machines are becoming). So I tried my restore CD burned on another Vista Machine, and it booted just fine. I used the windows boot option and I had a functional Vista machine.

My disk was burned from TI10 build 4942.

7. esatauser

esatauser Registered Member

I hope I can add something substantive to this thread.

Using TI latest build:

I have a new PC with an ASUS MB (M2N32-SLI) that has ESATA (SATA II) built in with an external SATA II connector to connect an external HD. I bought a Seagate external HD with USB and SATA II connection capability.

When I have the external HD connected to the computer using a USB cable there are no problems with booting and using the emergency boot CD to restore saved disk images on the external HD. If I remove the USB cable and connect the external HD to my computer using an "eSATA II" cable then things happen, or should I say things do not happen.
    Using the emergency boot disk I will get the normal first screen. I pick to install full version, but before I get to the screen where I choose my restore archive a terminal window opens, bunch of stuff scrolls by with what looks like error messages, then terminal window closes and program proceeds like usual. When I get to the screen to pick the location of my archive the external HD drive is not visible, its is not picked up, it does not exist.

I have been using TI since January on my old PC and now my new PC interchanging operating systems like it was a reflex reaction. I have not had any problems at all. The issue happens only when I use the "eSATA" cable while booting from the emergency CD. My WINDOWS is XP with SP2. There are NO PROBLEMS booting into and running XP with the SATA cable in place. The transfer rate from the external drive is fantastic. There are no problems using TI from inside windows when using the SATA cable.

Observation:
    With the SATA cable connected the PC's initial bootup changes. There appears a text screen displaying the initialization of the external drive. Similiar to the boot screen I used to see when I was operating a PC that had an internal and external SCSI hard drive system (circa 199:cool:. This happens before any operating system is loaded and also before a CD is read. Is this revised boot sequence built into the MB BIOS, chipset ? If so, then how can a revised TI boot CD (BartPE) with operating system (WIN XP, etc...) drivers possibly solve the issue ?

Recap:
    Using USB cable to connect external HD no issue
    Using eSATA cable, which triggers different initial boot sequence - have problem with emergency boot CD.

P.S. trivia
    When I set up a dual boot, Windows and Linux, and use the eSATA cable GRUB goes into a hysterical crash (SUSE 10.2) or causes the PC to emit a panic scream before crashing (Fedora 7).

I hope my above long winded observation helps in this issue. SATA II is a new technology and may need to have some things catch up to it before some of the current problems get solved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.