TI10/11 and Realtek RTL8111C NIC

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mr.Greg, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Greg

Mr.Greg Registered Member

Good morning,

neither TI10 nor TI11 rescue-media (both latest build) can handle the Realtek RTL8111C NIC (onboard e. g. Gigabyte GA-G31MS-2L and G31MF-S2):

TI10: NIC is detected, DHCP does not work, assigning an IP-address manualy does not help, no network connection can be established (no logon-window)

TI11: NIC is detected, DHCP works, no network connection can be established (no logon-window).

There's no problem with the NIC itself, it works fine with Windows, DOS or Bart-PE.

RTL8110SC (onboard GA-G31MX-S2) works with TI10/11.

Greetings

Greg

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Such is the problem with Linux based recovery CDs. If there's no Linux driver available that you can add to a BartPE disk, I'd simply install another NIC which is known to be supported by the TI Recovery CD.

3. Mr.Greg

I don't have any problems with Bart-Pe, but with TI.

Oh, what a wonderfull joke...

Greg

4. jmk94903

What I meant to say was is there a Windows driver for your NIC that you can add to a BartPE boot disk. Sorry

Lots of NIC are supported. If you have a couple on hand, ask here if anyone knows that the TI Linux supports it.

I keep a couple old 3Com 3C905B and 3C905C PCI NICs around for cases like this. Just about everything supports them.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mr.Greg,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience you are currently experiencing.

In order to fix the issue please try "acpi=off noapic" workaround described in Acronis Help Post.

If the issue persists please submit request for technical support with the attached Linux System Information file (sysinfo.txt). We will do our best to fix the issue. You can create Linux System Information file as described in Acronis Help Post.

Thank you
    --
    Nikita Sakharov

6. Mr.Greg

Of course it does not help.

I can't give you free support for your software. I told you all you have to know to solve the problem. Now it's on you to check whether the latest Realtek driver 8.005.00 for RTL8111C is inside the rescue media and so on.

Bye

7. Acronis Support

Hello Mr.Greg,

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please clarify, are network shares visible under Acronis Bootable Rescue Media? If yes, what operating system is on the remote computer(s)?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. Mr.Greg

No shares are visible. Remote PC runs Win XP Pro.

Bye

9. jmk94903

That's a great idea, but it's not how the world works. Go use other software if it supports your hardware, or change your hardware as I suggested to make it work with TI. What is so difficult about installing a new PCI card? Are you incapable of that or is it just that you don't feel that it's your problem?

I wish that TI's Recovery CD could support all hardware, but it doesn't, and as long as it is Linux based it won't. BartPE and VistaPE don't support all hardware either if you can't find the proper dirvers to install when you create the boot disk.

It seems that you have an easy solution. Use it or move on to another backup program.

10. Mr.Greg

Oh, and your fabulous suggestion is for all who use this NIC? Realtek is one of the leading manufacturers of NICs and a working driver is available. So I'm very sure that it's a bug that this NIC is not supported and not Acronis' intention.

Bye and have a nice life.

11. Acronis Support

Hello Mr.Greg,

Thank you for the clarification.

Could you please try booting with "pci=nomsi" kernel parameter and see if it solves the problem?

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Bit hesitant to chip in here in case I get barked at too ;)

Solved same problem with same NIC by creating a VistaPE bootdisk for ATI (and DD). If you create a Drivers folder in C:\ you can stick any additional drivers in it and VistaPE picks them up as it boots.

Easy peasy.

13. Mr.Greg

Hello Marat,

unfortunately it does not, the problem persists as described.

Mr. Greg

14. jmk94903

Of course TI should support your hardware, especially since it's a Reatek NIC.

I and others are trying to find a solution for you. However, I'll accept your "bye" and wish you bad luck in ever finding a solution. You don't deserve it with your attitude. :D

15. Acronis Support

Hello Mr.Greg,

It seems that this particular network card may indeed be not supported in current standalone version of Acronis True Image. We will request our Expert Team to check that. However, Linux system information (and, particularly, lspci output) would be really helpful for investigation.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

16. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Use Mustang's guide for building a VistaPE disk and it tells you how to include onthe PE disk any drivers you want to add although the Vista collection is pretty comprehensive from the get go. I found it much easier and faster to create a VistaPE disk than to hassle with the sy info, burning to didsk and trying diff iso files that Acronis Tech Support sent, etc. When you use the VistaPE disk, it's a lot like ShodowProtect's bootCD except without the feature of adding drivers on the fly -- however, your driver requirements shouldn't change very often so that's probably not a big deal.

I don't mean any disrespect but I was amused by the fellow who said, if you ATI doesn't support your hardware, get diff hardware. Reminded me of the old joke,

Patient: "Doc,it hurts when I do this."
    Doc: "Then don't do that anymore." ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.