TI Won't Work on System Recovered by Other Image Product?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KCDoug, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCDoug

KCDoug Registered Member

I needed to restore WinXP Home on my desktop this past weekend. My custom-built box came with a retore CD that was made with Norton Ghost. It worked and restored my computer without a hitch.

I immediately installed SP2 before installing other software and drivers. No problem. I then installed TI 8. and thought this would be a relatively low risk opportunity to image my raid 0 drive and try a restore - before I load and configure my other software.

TI installed just fine. But when I went to image the raid drive, it blue screened. This occured on each of several subsequent reattempts. I even tried to do it from safe mode - same exact bug check for BAD_Pool_Caller.

I contacted the computer manufacturer and was told that when you restore from one image software, that it leaves some kind of fingerprint on the drive and can inhibit other brands of imaging software from working properly. Their suggestion was to format my drive and manually install windows, raid, drivers, etc. and then try TI again. But blue screening on a fresh install, and even in safe mode, is not a good thing. I've heard elsewhere that bs from within safe mode can also suggest a possible hardware problem. But it looks like I'll have to try rebuilding from scratch w/o using the system restore and see if TI works then!!!

2. Tipton

Tipton Registered Member

On my system, I use True Image exclusevely. On my sons PC, he uses ghost. Just to test your theory, I installed TI on my sons system. I made an Image with TI, and then restored from it. I then used ghost 2003, and created an image, and again restored from that. Both worked fine and dandy without even a hiccup!

Tipton

3. KCDoug

KCDoug Registered Member

Tipton - thanks for the handy insight. I will pass your info. along to tech support for my computer manufacturer (Velocity Micro). The person I spoke with said that he had heard/read recently that some imaging software may not perform properly on a system that had been restored using another imaging program.

I have a relatively high end computer that also has a raid 0 volume for the primary drive. I did successfully create an image of it onto the Acronis Secure drive that I created on my backup hard drive. It verified fine, but I'd not had the guts to test a full restore. A week or so ago when I started to make a new backup image on a freshly restored system, Acronis blue screened on me as described in my previous message. I was also having a similar issue with another piece of software (Nero 6) that has had an infrequent history of blue screening for months. When I developed the BSOD problem with TI, my computer tech support expert suggested zeroing the raid and manually installing windows w/o using Norton, also as described in my previous message.

To make a very long story short, Ive zeroed the raid, installed winxp home, updated BIOS, and audio and video card drivers. I'm also using SP1 with all critical updates in place. (Though I plan to migrate back to SP2 once I get this all resolved.)

I haven't installed all my programs yet - including TI; staying pretty much bare bones as I try to resolve the BSOD from the other program. (Yup, Nero is still bug checking.) Soon as I get a handle on that, I will try installing and using TI. Not sure, though, whether I'll create the secure drive again - for some undefined reason I don't care for it. If I can figure it out, I'd really prefer to just create a restore CD or DVD that worked as simply as the Norton - just boot to it, make a couple of selections and voila', back to basic Win install w/drivers and programs.

Again, though, I really appreciate your feedback.

-Doug

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. rharris270

rharris270 Guest

I use both GHOST and Trueimage on my home-built PC, running XP Home Edition with SP-2. They do not interfer with each other.

However, I run GHOST only from a bootable floppy. The option to use a hidden partition never worked correctly, due to my PC having SATA disks on a RAID controller.

I normally run Trueimage from the GUI within windows, and save to an external USB drive. I do not use the secure zone. I have also made images using the bootable CD. When I restore an image, I use the bootable CD.

Suggestion: Doe your PC have a product called GOBACK? I have heard that must be turned off before making a disk image.

5. KCDoug

KCDoug Registered Member

No, I don't have GOBack installed, nor ever have.

I too have S-ATA drives and on-board Intel Raid Controller. I will use my seperate back-up drive for imaging, and will probably do so without the TI secure partition. Once I get some sort of resolve (or just give up) trouble shooting the Nero bug checks, I'll again refocus on TI and will be hopeful to get it working too. If it's okay I'll try to look you up via PM for advice on setting up TI when I get to that in a week or two or three?

-Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.