TI v9.1 b3718 with Universal Restore and BARTPE + MUSTANG

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jeremyotten, Jul 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tecnico

tecnico Registered Member

Hi Mustang,
    it's how I thought, UR isn't working at all!

I really appreciated your last post because finally I understand the problem, it wasn't clear to me there was a request of UR during the restore (like I can see in the snapshot).

I contacted the Acronis Support and they gave me a special debug version of linux rescue cd, but also that time I didn't have the UR option during restore.
    I'm very angry with them because they only replyed with the usual emails where they apologise but don't fix the problem. I'm a retailer since one month of their product and I don't think to sell a produt that don't work and without having any support.

You asked me what happend if I try to restore in normal mode: it happens the same, I don't have the option like your snapshot. Just a question; in other posts I saw UR request doesn't appear but only when the boot is from cd. Is it correct? In any case I would like to use only your plugin with reatogo because it's more powerful than linux boot.

I hope you can help me with other precious aids (like all of yours are ;) )

Thank you again
    Walter

2. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Walter,

Thanks for reporting your results.

Don't give up on Universal Restore. I think it works for most people. Acronis seems to be working on it. With each build they release it works a little differently.

I'm curious about what makes UR fail to kick in. I would suggest you try booting some different machines and see if the UR option shows up during the restore process using the image you've been testing. If that doesn't help, try making an image of a different machine and see if the UR option appears.

3. tecnico

Hi Mustang,

I tried to restore on 2 different servers with same results; I've never seen UR option during restore. I also tried to make an image on different machine (but same hw), I'll try on different hw.

Just to better understand... if I try to restore in normal mode (from windows and not from reatogo) should I see the UR option? because on differents posts it seems not, but you say yes... and I could try this tests on many servers of my clients.

Regards
    Walter

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Walter,

From your previous post, you said that you see "---- with Acronis Universal Restore" in the tilte of the main GUI when you start TI. If this is the case, you should always see the UR screen during a restore. It doesn't matter if you run TI from Windows, the Linux Recovery CD or from BartPE with my plugin. If you don't see the UR screen, it means TI has a bug in it. I don't know if the bug is related to specific hardware or something in the image you are trying to restore.

5. tecnico

Hi Mustang,
    yes I see in the main title of the gui "... with Universal Restore" but I don't have the UR screen when I restore the image. I tried (in normal mode from windows) on 2 servers (different HW) with same results, but I just tried from a server of my client and there works. I don't understand also because I tried with 3718 and then with 3832. I will do more tests to better understand.

If you have TI in license mode (I receive a license by mail from my supplier with a link where I must download the setup that has a license server service to manage the licenses) it's necessary to make some changes of your "TIES9-Get_Files+Lic.cmd" because the position of registry key changes in this version, the right position is "Acronis\Licenses" and the key is "License".

Then I also modified some rows of your cmd because at the beggining I didn't have the "... with Universal Restore" in the main gui. The serial number you extracted, had 3 spaces in front of th key. I modified every row where there is "~7%" in "~10%" and the title ..."with universal restore" appeared.

Regards
    Walter

6. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Walter,

Glad to hear you finally saw the UR screen. Apparently ,the problem has something to do with your hardware configurations. Acronis could use your help in their efforts to pin down this problem.

Thanks for the feedback concerning the license key information. I'll investigate and see if I can integrate it into my plugins.

7. tecnico

Hi Mustang,
    thank you for you fast answers and to have helped me to understand where the problem was. On Monday I'll do more test to better undestand.

I had an idea but I would like to have your opinion
    I thought....
    1) I execute your cmd in the server where UR screen works (the server of my client)
    2) take all the files that your cmd collects
    3) prepare a cd with reatogo

do you think it's a good idea to have a rescue cd working? or do you think it still won't work in those servers where the UR screen doesn't appear?

Thank you again for your help and your fantastic plugin ;)

Best Regards
    Walter

8. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Walter,

I don't see how it would make any difference if you collect the files from the machine where UR works. You will be picking up the exact same files if the same version of TI is installed.

You should definitely have a working Acronis Recovery CD. It runs under Linux. Acronis has put more effort into Universal Restore in their Linux version. It often works better than the Windows based version when it comes to Universal Restore. I would always try using it first. If it won't boot because the hardware is not support, then try your BartPE CD with my plugin.

9. tecnico

Hi Mustang,
    your are right it was as I thought.

I don't have confidence with Acronis support because I wrote a lot of emails; at the beggining they answered me and they gave me a special version o Linux boot (it didn't work and they asked me a log file) but now they are disappeared and they don't answer me at all, not even to tell me the results about the investigation of that log file.
    In any case the unix boot supports too much few hw. For all these reasons I prefered and I was confidence in your plugin.

I hope Acronis answer me again!!

I find a bit strange a UR screen doesn't appear if it isn't compatible with an HW; If the UR screen it was and it didn't work I would understand, but no it isn't show.

In anycase thank you again to you
    Walter

10. Nukem

Nukem Registered Member

Hello All

Thanks in advance for reading this

I have recently had problems restoring our standard images to the new ASUS P5VD2-MX mainboards we have acquired. (any help with that would be great)

Specifically the "Full" version of Acronis (using the bootable media) does not work, in that it fails to boot completely. (universal restore or not)

There is a Jmicron external sata controller on these mainboards, if the Jmicron is enabled, the Acronis boot media (latest version of course) produces an error indicating the VIA 82XXX driver failed to load. If I disable the Jmicron controller the error does not appear, but the Acronis bootable media fails to complete its boot process. (safe mode works but does not see tha SATA attached HDD)

Soooo.. anyway to get around this I have tried the BartPe method using the plugin provided by Mustang (thanks mate).. the issue I am experiencing is that the "use universal restore" option is not available, everything else seems to work OK, while using the BartPe boot CD and Acronis.

BTW I have tried this in VMware and it works well there, but still no universal restore option. I have also booted the BartPe media on a "Gigabyte 7N400-PRO2" and an "ASUS P4P800 Deluxe" mainboard and experience the same issue.

Am I doing something wrong?

Once again thankyou for your time and knowledge

Also could there be any truth to the idea that these mainboards may not be Linux compatible?

Nukem

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  11. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Nukem,

When you run TI from BartPE, do you see "Acronis True Image Workstation with Universal Restore" in the title of the main GUI? If not, it is a serial number issue. You can copy and paste the serial number from the registry to the inf file. Get the number from HKLM\Software\Acronis\UniversalRestore. Paste it into the inf file where you see the same number at the end of the file. The number of leading zeros can be a problem.

If you do see the correct tiltle but just don't get the UR option, it may be related to the hardware.

12. Nukem

Nukem Registered Member

Hi Mustang

Thanks for replying.. and thankyou and much respect for the plugin.

I do not see the "with universal restore" in the main GUI (BTW we are using TI server with universal restore) so I will copy the serial from the registry to the .inf as suggetsed and see how it goes..

I will let you know

Thanks again

13. Nukem

Nukem Registered Member

Hi again Mustang

I have a question with regard to your suggestion - I am not exatly sure what to do.

The last part of my .inf file is like this

; License key from registry
    [Software.AddReg]
    0x1, "Acronis\TrueImage", "server", " 0 23 30 97 25120 5 4 0 18 23120 25 3 2 7 "

(I deleted some of the numbers from the end - was a bit worried about our license)

The number I get from the registry at HKLM\Software\Acronis\UniversalRestore - is different and has no leading zeros.

Should I replace the number in the inf with the number from the registry and add a leading zero?

Also would it be OK to export that part of the registry and then import it when booted to BartPE - I have just tried this and it works.

Thanks for you help

Nukem

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  14. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Nukem,

It looks like the UR license key was not picked up at all from the registry. You need to add the following line with your license key:

0x1, "Acronis\UniversalRestore", "server", "Copy and paste your value here"

Put the above line right after the line you posted. Leave your line alone it was working.

In my earlier post, I meant leading spaces not leading zeros. Sorry for the confusion. That assumed your UR key had been picked up, but didn't work. I now see your UR was just missed altogether.

15. Nukem

Nukem Registered Member

Hi again Mustang - all is working really well now - I think your plugin is very cool

Thank you very much for all your help - I will be recommending we make a donation to your site.

I am a little concerned that the UR function is not actually working though - I am using the current build of Acronis - would I be better of using a slightly older version?

Also what would be the best way to establish if the UR function is being performed?

Thanks again - and have a great day

Nukem

Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  16. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi Nukem,

The best way to tell if UR is working is to try it. It's been a little iffy. Acronis has been working hard to improve it. Each successive build seems to act differently, so we know they're trying.

You will know it works if you get the option to use Universal Restore during the restore process. If you try a restore to different hardware using the UR option, you can look at the log after the restore finishes to see what it did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.