TI v8 Takes HOURS to clone/backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by zapps, Apr 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapps

zapps Registered Member

Hi Experts

I have a registered TI v8 build 937 which I have used for partition backups although SLOW it does the job. My laptop has 1 Gig RAM and 2.8 GHz Intel Processor so a fairly fast machine.

For the first time I am performing a disk clone operation from 45 Gig ==> 100 Gig disk. It has taken 9 hours 20 minutes flat just to finish with first partition whose size is 18 Gig. It is now doing the 2nd partition whose size is 8 Gig and it is showing the estimate time of 7 hours and I then have 2 more partitions, assuming they now take 8 hours each that is 32 hours flat in total. Is this a reasonable time to expect from a product of a market leader in backup solutions ?

My normally image backups of 10 Gig partiton takes around 8 hours, again I think this is unreasonable.

I would like to have your comments based on your experience concerning the clone and backup times, are your times similar to mine ?

Cheers, Zapps

2. howie123

howie123 Registered Member

TI is by far the fastest imaging solution I've used. Imaging 14GB of data from an internal ATA133 IDE HDD to another internal ATA100 IDE HDD takes me 7 minutes (approx 2GB/min.) on a P4 3.0Ghz, 1024RAM.
    The only thing I can think of is that possibly you are imaging to an external USB2 drive and it's running at USB1.1 speeds which would limit you to the 12mb/second (1.5MB/second) USB1.1 interface speeds. I've never used the clone feature but I can't imagine the times you're seeing are anywhere close to normal for TI. I hope you find a quick solution...

3. zapps

zapps Registered Member

My target disk is indeed using USB 2.0.

My normal backups are also done on the external disk using USB 2.0, perhaps due to the fact that I am using USB is the reason why the backup and the clone feature take so much of time.

Thanks for your comments.

4. Skyhawk

Skyhawk Registered Member

If you are using a USB2 external drive and a USB2 port on your PC, maybe try another USB cable and make sure it is rated for USB2. It might be possible that the cable you are using is a "counterfeit" USB2 cable that is really a USB1.1 cable. There is so much counterfeit stuff going around lately.

Skyhawk

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The maximum theoretical speed for USB 2 is about 3600MB/min and for USB 1.1 is about 90 MB/min. You are not going to get that in real life over a long period of time (you will get better rates when measuring very short bursts) but you sure shouldn't be getting what you are for USB 2.

If you are doing these operations in Windows then I don't think you should be dealing with a driver issue as sometimes happens in the linux version when run from the rescue CD or booted into from Windows to restore the C partition. Or maybe you are running in this mode?

If you are running in Windows remove any unnecessary USB devices and make sure you are not plugged in through a hub. Also, the connectors at the PCs back panel may provide better results than connectors on the front due to cabling issues.

And for my standard thought for the day, have a look in the Windows Event Viewer, System log for any reports of disk or other hardware concerns happening during the time you are running TI.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello zapps,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please check each partition of your hard drives by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drives.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

If you backup or clone your hard drive within Windows, please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then enable logging by running the Acronis drivers installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file.

We would like to recommend you download and install the trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 and see how it works on your computer within Windows.

If the problem persists in rescue mode, please try the following workaround:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add the acpi=off noapic parameter to the end of the Linux kernel command line (do not remove the word "quiet") and click on the OK button.

If that does not help, please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.