TI sees NTFS External Hard Drive as Read-Only

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Lurgid, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lurgid

Lurgid Guest

The subject just about says it all.

I'm trying to image a machine to duplicate to a university computer lab, but the external USB hard drive I want to store the image to Acronis is telling me is read-only.

It's an XP Pro machine if that matters.

Any suggestions?

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Perhaps one of the official Acronis guys here can chime in here, but generally speaking Linux only supports *reading* from NTFS. I know in the latest kernels there is experimental read-write NTFS support, but I would suspect that TrueImage is being affected by this issue.

Now, this only applies to when you're booting from the Rescue CD. If you are seeing this problem from within Windows, then it sounds like an NTFS ACL issue.

3. foghorn

foghorn Registered Member

Although I assume this would be possible via Samba?

4. Lurgid

Lurgid Guest

I'm not real familiar with this software, but I suspected it was booting linux and that's why I was having the NTFS issues. I'll try it with FAT32 and see if it makes a difference.

But, would it matter that I'm trying to make an image of an NTFS drive? I mean, when I deploy the image to the other lab machines?

5. wdormann

Not at all. If you making an image from an NTFS partition, then it's just reading. If you're creating an NTFS partition, that's also fine since it's not done at the filesystem level.

But if you're trying to write an image to an existing NTFS partition (which it appears was your case), that's where you'll run into trouble.

6. Lurgid

Lurgid Guest

I gave up trying to use the external HD. I reformatted it with a couple of FAT32 partitions, and then Acronis didn't even see the drive. It will probably end up actually be faster deploying with CDs as I can make a couple of copies of each disk, and get it so when one of the computers is done with a disk, another one is ready it.

Thanks for the help, though.

7. wdormann

As foghorn suggested, why not have the image on a network drive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.