TI plugin for BartPE

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Senser, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Senser

Senser Guest

Is there any indication when the Acronis TrueImage plugin for BartPE will be ready?

Thanks!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Senser,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image plugin for BartPE will be definitely ready by the CeBIT in Hannover, Germany. It will be March 10 - 16, 2005. You will be able to visit our section: Hall 1 Booth 7i5.

Our Marketing Department is currently deciding the rules of distribution and licensing.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Which implies that those of us who have already bought and paid for a TI 8 license will have to cough up more dough to get the BartPE plug-in....?? :eek:

:oops: :mad: o_O :( :'( :doubt:

4. Senser

Senser Guest

I sure hope the plugin will be available to registered customers, like myself. I've bought TI8 and would like to integrate it within my BartPE tool-cd..

5. Acronis Support

Hello jimmytop,

Probably you are not right. However I cannot promise you anything until our Marketing Department decides the rules.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    in my case it would be very disturbing as I purchased a full version of 7 and lost the stupid key and then had to buy a full version of 8 also since I needed it at that time. So I have paid full price twice.

I am currently working on a barts pe plugin though and would hope to have it fully functionsing within a few weeks or so. I'm currently going through the registry with a fine tooth comb to make sure I have all the bits. I am also working on the other issues that keep it from working properly. Since i do have full itme work though I'm only able to work on this in my spare time. Hopefully soon though.

7. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Good luck to you, Webmedic. So many programmers have tried and failed and it seems that Acronis struggled also. When some of the great hackers failed, I did not even try. If you can do it, you will be a hero to all!

8. webmedic

well I cant make any gurantees but we will see. I have been doing stuff like this for years. I even have my own custom recovery cd's from the windows 95/98/me days when every body else was using flopies.

9. AlanClarke

AlanClarke Guest

Now that CeBIT is over, what is the status of True Image for PE Builder? A lot of people have been waiting in anticipation.

10. Euser

Euser Registered Member

I really don't want this to get lost in the shuffle. Can we please get a word from Acronis on the status of the plugin. Like many others I have been having problems with USB drives and Firewire drives recognizing when booting from the recovery CD. I have submitted many reports and continue to get test builds with no success. This plugin is the only hope I have for being able to use this product and recover my images that I thought I would be able to recover when we first purchased this product.....

11. ceasley

ceasley Guest

Yes, what's the word? I, too, am anxiously awaiting this plugin...

12. Acronis Support

Hello all,

We are really sorry for being unable to release this plug in. It is already created and is currently being tested in our Testing Lab. We expect it to be available soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. EricF

EricF Registered Member

Mr. Toytman--Would you consider accepting qualified beta tester volunteers?

Thanks,

Eric

14. Acronis Support

Hello Eric,

Thank you for your readiness to help us on the improvement of Acronis software. If you want to become our beta-tester you are welcome. Please visit our site http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/beta-testing/ to learn how to join our Beta-testing Team.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. webmedic

what about those of us that are already on the beta testing team.

16. Euser

Euser Registered Member

Can you give us an updated time frame for the plugin. I would really like to be able to use this product but since it fails in restoring from my external drives it is useless. This plugin was what I was hoping would save the day... :oops:

17. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Acronis True Image plugin for Bart PE will be included into Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image Enterprise Server. If you have any further questions concerning the plugin please contact Acronis Support Team via e-mail support@acronis.com. We will do our best in order to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

18. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

Ilya, that is really bad news! Will current TI 8 users get a free upgrade or reduced price upgrade to the corporate workstation version? If I would have known, I would have paid the extra dollars (80 instead of 50) in the first place. Now I'm out 50 bucks and have to shell out 80 to get the plug ino_O

I'm afraid that this is not going to go over well on the Acronis Public Relations front...

I would suggest that you let people who bought TI 8 prior to a certain date be allowed to pay the extra 30 bucks and get the version that they need - the one with the plug in.

I for one am really disappointed by this news!

19. webmedic

Myself doubly so. I only used my acronis 7 as a bootable cd and when i finally tried to install it I could not find the key which made it worthless. So I had to go out and purchase 8.0 on top of it. So I have paid twice and I did not buy any kind of upgrade version of 8.0. I purchased the full version of both.

I even still have the original 7.0 dc with the box still no key code for it though.

20. EricF

EricF Registered Member

Is the plugin included in the current Acronis TI Corporate Workstation v. 8, or will it be in a future version?

Thanks,

Eric

21. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Could someone please tell me in a few words why this plug-in is so important? What does it accomplish? What are the benefits?

22. Euser

Euser Registered Member

True Image is good product in many areas... EXCEPT when trying to restore a backup from an external hard drive connected via firewire or usb... It seems that the linux recovery environment is not compatible with many external enclosures.... some enclosures work fine while others do not.... I am on my fourth enclosure which works with usb (thank God... fourth time is a charm). However getting back to your question... The plugin would allow a user to actually use true image to restore their backup images in case disaster occurred because it uses a windows environment instead of linux... Like I have said before, many users are very happy that they can successfully create an image within windows to an external hard drive, however many have not attempted to restore their images (aka... test their disaster recovery plan) when you do test it, many (not all) will find that their external drives that hold the precious backups are not found or are either recognized as floppy drives and fail during restores.... (This of course is the whole purpose of having a disaster recovery plan). Acronis is always working to try to solve the problem, however I feel like I am beta testing a product that claims to be compatible with all external enclosures, when it is clearly not... This should be listed as a disclaimer... Some will argue that it is the hardware... Well it works fine within Windows so to me it should just work, plain and simple otherwise it should not be available to the public as its purpose is mission critical for users and businesses for disaster data recovery.

And now for us to be told that we will have to pay additional money in order to use the product that we have already paid for.... Well that is pretty poor business in my opinion.....

23. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The biggest problem the BartPE plugin will overcome is the lack of (good) open source Linux device drivers for a number of SATA/SATA RAID controller chipsets. Users will be able to load their own Windows drivers at boot time instead.

Regards

24. shoek

shoek Registered Member

A bit off topic, but why Acronis chose to implement their emergency recovery as a Linux app is beyond me when WinPE would be the perfect solution. Ghost9 licenses it from MS, so I'm sure Acronis could work something out, or they could do a BartPE-like tool to let the end user create a offline bootable Windows environment to run the recovery software in.

Look back over the forums and count the number of posts related to either lack of drivers for various hard disk configs, or lack of support for external storage devices, and just imagine how much less this support burden would be on Acronis if they had chosen the WinPE route instead of the Linux route.

25. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

I'll post my own disappointment about the plugin only being included in the enterprise version. This is disappointing, as the expectation of the plugin availability was one of the things that induced me to buy TI 8.

The thing about BartPE is that it can boot from a USB flash drive, eliminating the 5-6 minute boot process typical of PE boots off CD. Combined with the ability to use standard windows drivers, this would be the ideal solution.

All I want is a fast boot from USB key, and access to any normal external hardware such as USB2 devices.

Sigh. TI is great but no product seems to have it all.

Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.