TI not for me - but regrettably

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by StevenLyall, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenLyall

StevenLyall Registered Member

Boy would I like TI to work as a backup solution.

Relative to the free (with WinXP) MS Backup, the user interface and 'experience' is excellent and the prospect of a backup for a whole system rather than just files and folders is a wonderful one. Also, TI will run a daily backup on startup if the machine was off at the scheduled time

But with MS Backup, if there are verify errors, I get a detailed report telling me teh names of teh files that failed (mostly zero, or 2-3 at the most out of 100Gb of data). With TI, however, I simpley get a message like 'The file is corrupted. (0x4000D) Tag = 0xC847B314771C5EF6' and that is no use to me.

Thanks,

Steven

2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

Sounds like what you need is a 'traditional' backup program that uses the file structure of the disk instead of a sector backup image that doesn't use the file structure for backup identification. There are many out there - good luck with your search.

3. StevenLyall

Thanks - I'll just stick with MS Backup till I find something better.

Cheers,

Steven

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you are backing up to a hard drive (internal, external USB/Firewire, or networked), old MS Backup is pretty useful. It's pitiful with CDs or DVDs, but if you don't use those, that's not a problem.

Danz Retrospect, Sonic's BackupMyPC and StompSoft PC Backup are good file backup candidates to consider if you need more bells and whistles.

None are nearly as fast as an image backup with TrueImage, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

5. StevenLyall

Thanks - I'll keep looking, but I'll also try TrueImage again in a couple of months.

Steven

6. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Hi Steven
    I'm wondering why you should have corrupt images in the first place.
    Would it not be worth trying to figure out why that should happen before trying something else? Perhaps the drive you are saving to has some fault on it - bad sectors etc.
    Just a thought.
    HTH
    John

7. steveksux

steveksux Registered Member

That's been my experience too. Try scandisk to make sure you don't have disk problems causing it, then give TI another shot.

Randy

8. StevenLyall

Thanks. I've run scandisk and memtest with no errors and have no other evidence of system operational problems. I've backed up to a drive on the motherboard, to a drive on a separate vard and to an externaldrive and I always get the same result.

Now it may be that TI is flushing out an issue that doesn't otherwise manifest itself on my system and on teh systems of all the other users reporting similar problems in this forum, but no other backup software does so, so one of those other software packages seems to be teh smart move in teh short term - although I would still like to use TI one day as it has great features.

Thanks again,

Steven

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

OK well this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with Acronis after this last post and especially not the post I have removed. Anway; let us once again reflect upon the fact that this particular section of the Wilders forum is indeed the Acronis support forum. Thread locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.