TI & Manuf Recovery Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by QuiGonJohn, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuiGonJohn

QuiGonJohn Registered Member

I just did a test w/TI9 & my Gateway Laptop. I had made 3 backups from the drive. A Full Disk, a C (Windows Partition) and a D (Recovery Partition).

I then removed the HDD and inserted an extra laptop HDD I had. Now the orig HDD is 60GB and the test one is only 40GB. But the total of either partition or both together is under 10GB so that shouldn't be an issue.

First I booted to the Rescue CD & restored just the C (Windows Partiton) along with the MBR & Track 0. This said it was successful. But after when I tried to boot to the HDD, it froze up on the Windows Logo Screen you get a few seconds after you get the large Windows XP Splash Screen.

So next I redid the restore, but this time using my FULL DISK image I made.

This one was also successful and I was able to completely boot into Windows.

Can anyone tell me why the first try failed? It seems to me I should have been able to just put the Windows Partition back and it should have worked.

Thanks!

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I believe most mfg modify boot record when they put a recovery partition on a machine. The C windows partition may not have the correct MBR.

3. QuiGonJohn

Thanks. If I made the restore CD's from the manuf built-in program when I got the laptops, do you see any reason why I shouldn't remove the recovery partition and make that space part of my C: drive.

How would I do that?

4. thomasjk

No. Just realize that the mfg restore CD's will put you back to as shipped. Some mfg. also include a diagnostic partition. If the machine is out of warranty it won't matter if you eliminate the partitions. You should be able to use windows disk management to eliminate the partitions. Once you do that then create a secure zone using TI on the drive. Then use TI to remove the secure zone and allocate the space to your existing partition. Do a complete archive and restore of first your existing machine to make sure everything works properly. If you search the forum you will find various methods of doing what you want.

5. QuiGonJohn

And since, if my Ti works fine, I would probably never have to use the Manuf Restore CD's, the fact they put me back to "as shipped" shouldn't be an issue. Most likely, in the event of a disaster, I would just restore my latest TI Image.

Do you have a good link that explains in fairly simple terms about the Secure Zone?

6. thomasjk

You can search the forums or read the user guide available for download on the Acronis website.

7. QuiGonJohn

I'll look.

I need an ATI Secure Zone for Dummies. o_O

8. QuiGonJohn

Another question.

I see 4 processes running all the time for ATI, do I need them running or can I turn them off in MSCONFIG and would ATI still run right when I use it?

trueimagemonitor
    timountermonitor
    schedhlp
    schedul2

9. thomasjk

Leave them on. You need all four if you are running scheduled backups. They use very little resources.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.