TI is creating fragmented data backups

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ciaolorenzo, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Well, even that shouldn't create a 50 GB image.
    I think you’d be better served if you started a new, more appropriately titled thread.

2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Registered Member

Clicked on: Backup, my computer,disk and partitions, disk 1 , create image. It took about an hour or so to do the job.

3. TheWeaz

Only one partition on disk 1? No hidden restore partitions?

4. GrayGhost

Guess I will re format the F drive.. and try another image backup to see what happens.

5. TheWeaz

I don't think that has anything to do with the size of your backup image file.

6. GrayGhost

Guess this is where I went wrong. I clicked on make an image thinking that was the way to make an image. When I unclick make an image you can see the difference between the two GB sizes. My not knowing that a backup is an image and when clicking the make an image it is a clone.

Attached Files:

7. TheWeaz

That's what I meant when I said:

An image is never a clone. Usually an image will only contain in-use sectors. If you check the “sector-by-sector” box, every sector is included in the image even if it contains no live data.

8. GrayGhost

Yes I agree, but I was so centered on making an image and a clone. My reading has shown that an image is better than a clone. So I guess that TI11 makes an image unless you tell it to make a clone.

Is my thinking correct.

9. TheWeaz

I was thinking that a sector-by-sector of a drive that big would be larger, but I don’t know if the page file and hibernation data is include in that type of backup.

10. TheWeaz

Image and clone are two different things - each has its uses. I, for one, have never seen a need for cloning.

11. GrayGhost

Thank you for your help.

What I meant to say was I was so focused on making an image, I clicked on the image sector by sector. I should read a little more closer before clicking. I have lost several hard drives and really wanted a good backup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.