TI home: my all in one solution?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Etrsi_645, Aug 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Etrsi_645

Etrsi_645 Registered Member

In short, is this the only backup software I need OR do I need something else like Syncback SE, Second Copy, or Nero or o_Oo_Oo_O

I am not sure just how much or which backup software that I need. I am somewhat new to all the products offered. I do understand the various concepts behind the different backup scenarios available in TI (full, incremental, differential---and full image vs a file/folder backup).

For complete disaster recovery of a hard drive ATI appears to be the winner hands down over the aforementioned softwares; they cannot perform disaster recovery of a complete hard drive.

But, for simple file and folder backups, many store all files backed up as individual files with no compression; ATI does not store as individual files, it appears. ATI stores the backups in a proprietary form. Is that any advantage over ATI or is it a non-issue?

Some softwares can store several versions of the files. Wouldn’t TI incremental backups do the same thing?

And what about FTP backup ability?

And lastly, is there any advantages/disadvantages that I am not thinking of.

T.I.A.

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The only backup software I use is True image home.
    The actual way it is used depends a bit on the hardware that you have. If your computer is a laptop and as you will want to protect the hard drive and everything on it some form of external media will be needed. DVDs can be used but IMHO the advantages of an external hard drive makes the extra expense worthwhile.
    If you have a PC there is the possibility of fitting an internal backup hard drive. This is faster and, as backups can be run automatically, more convenient.
    Some users and I am one also keep a second line of defence. The chances of ever having to use it are vanishingly small but perhaps..... So if you are using an external drive an occasional backup to DVD may be appropriate. If the main backup is to an internal drive it could be to exchangable hard drive or to an external hard drive.
    As to how often you backup and what you include the choice is yours. I choose the lazy way and let TI automatically backup the whole of my main drive every day whether it needs it or not! Between backups I can always do an old fashioned save to a CD if a have some work that I would hate to lose.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Etrsi_645,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Please note that as Xpilot said the choice is depend on the goals you would like to achieve.

Acronis True Image 9.0 Home provides you with the ability to create a special archive file (image archive) for backup and disaster recovery purposes. You can store images created in Acronis True Image on almost any PC storage device: local hard drives, network drives or a variety of IDE, SCSI, FireWire (IEEE-1394), USB (1.0, 1.1 and 2.0) and PC card (formerly called PCMCIA) removable media drives, including CD-R(RW), DVD+R(W), DVD-RW, magneto-optical, Iomega Zip and Jaz drives.

As it was mentioned image creation can be scheduled for the particular point in time (daily, weekly, monthly) or upon the following events:

- Logon
    - Logoff
    - Windows starts
    - Windows shuts down

The image creation performs without rebooting your computer so you can continue to work during backup creation.

Please also note that if you would like to save the image archive on the FTP server directly (via Acronis True Image) we may recommend that you use Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation. Acronis True Image 9.0 Home does not have this ability.

You can find more additional information about the difference between Acronis True Image 9.0 Home and Acronis True Image 9.1 Workstation here.

Please note that if it is suitable for you you can simple copy the data to any staorage device and you it in case the original data is damaged. Acronis True Image perform this task in another way: it creates a single backup archive file that contains a copy of selected files/folders data or a copy of all information stored on selected disks/partitions. Only the data, along with the folder tree, are compressed and stored.

You can restore the desired files/folders from the backuparchive with help of Acronis True Image.
    Please find more information on how to use Acronis True Image in the respective User's Guide.

Not exactly, the incremental backup file only contains data changed since the last full or incremental backup creation. It is smaller and takes less time to create. But as it doesn’t contain all data, all the previous incremental backups and the initial full backup are required for restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

My opinion is ....ATI is the Only thing you need. At first, you may have a couple obstacles, but when you get'em squashed...it's very reliable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.