TI Home 11 Killing Network Share

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Software Tools, Sep 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Software Tools

Software Tools Registered Member

When I install TI Home 11 on an XP SP2 system, my network shares are no longer visible across the workgroup.

Uninstalling TI 11 makes them visible again. :rolleyes: Seems like a direct causality link! :eek:

TI 10 worked fine on the same system and didn't cause any network share issues.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any known causes/cures? o_O

2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you didn't get any error messages when trying to access the shared folders, then it may not be the IRPstacksize problem that Bruce suggested. However, that's an easy thing to change in the Registry, and you are not likely to get into any trouble changing it or putting it back if the change doesn't help.

4. Software Tools

I am indeed getting the "Not enough server storage available to process this command" error message mentioned in the Microsoft Knowledgebase note that Bruce linked.

However, having tried a few different values in the relevant registry variable, right up to the maximum allowed value, the problem remains when I install TI 11.

It again disappears as soon as I uninstall it. o_O

5. Software Tools

I found this elsewhere...

... so it looks like I'm not the only one having this problem, though in this case it was a different Acronis TI product involved!

6. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I had the same problem after installing TI 11 Home Edition. Running Win XP Home w/SP2 and all updates I noticed that I did not have an entry for IRPStackSize, therefore I believe that the operating system assumed the decimal value of 15 which is the default for Win XP. Creating a DWORD entry for IRPStackSize with a value of 15 provided no improvement as expected. Increasing this value to 18 initially had no effect. What I didn’t do was the required re-boot. When I realized that, I left the decimal value at 18 and re-booted the system. All is now well.

Bruce

7. Software Tools

Just to close this out..... nothing I did with the IRPStackSize Registry entry made any difference. :rolleyes:

I recently had an unrelated event which caused me to do a repair install on Windows XP SP2. After doing this the IRPStackSize registry entry was reset to 15 decimal, so I changed it again to 18 decimal (as starting point) and the Acronis problem disappeared! :D

What was causing the original problem was evidently something in the registry, but exactly what it was is not at all clear. :eek:

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thanks for posting this and letting us know that the problem is resolved (although the source is not known).

9. AlanMintaka

AlanMintaka Registered Member

Hi,

I just ran into the same problem and was able to fix it by creating IRPStackSize as instructed above and setting it to 18 decimal.

In my case I do know the cause. It was TI Home 11 build 8053. The problem began when I installed it. It went away when I uninstalled it then reappeared when I re-installed it.

Now that IRPStackSize has been set to 18 everything works as before.

I run WinXP SP2 on Dell Dimensions, 8300 and 8400, both 3.2GHz machines with loads of HD space and a few external USB2 drives. The latter were the ones I couldn't access across the network.

Just my two cents...

Big Al Mintaka

Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.