TI Home 11 - E00040004: Disk is full.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimhubbard, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimhubbard

jimhubbard Registered Member

I chose Incremental backups (after making an initial backup) be cause I thought that it made incremental backups until the drive got full and then it deleted all old backups and made a new complete backup before going on its merry way making more incremental backups.

But, I am getting a Disk is full. error. Why?

Doesn't TI delete all old backups for you when it fills a drive?

2. acummins

acummins Registered Member

I had a similar problem problem yesterday. I had a full backup in ASZ and there was about 700 mb free space in it. For a differential backup I estimated that I needed another 300 mbs more, so I increased the size of ASZ for another 500 mbs given it an extra 200 mbs. The result? I got an error message during the differential backup saying that the disk was full. So I created another 500 mbs and gave it another try. I got the same message. Created another 500 mbs and the same message again. The size of the ASZ was 55. gb now and it would not let me take this backup.

I deleted the ASZ and created another one, the size of which was just a bit less than 5 gb. I took a full backup without any problem and there are still 700 mbs free space in it. I dont get this at all. Did I do something wrong or is this something that TI should look into?

3. jimhubbard

I see this error reported a LOT....but never any answers.

Are there other products that don't suffer from this error?

I like Acronis, but I love my data.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jimhubbard,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that Acronis True Image 11 Home automatically manages only archives directed to Acronis Secure Zone or Acronis Backup Location. Please see the respective chapters of the User's Guide for detailed information.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Acronis Support

Hello acummins,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that if the disk was defragmented between creating the full backup and the differential one, the latter might be signinficantly larger than expected (because many sectors are moved). In such cases it's recommended to recreate the full backup first.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

6. acummins

acummins Registered Member

Actually I didnt defragment the disk between the full and diff. one. I just restored the full backup image, so the harddisk became same as it was when the windows was installed. Having done this I installed couple of programmes, then I wanted to take a differential backup.

And comments whay this could be?

7. jimhubbard

So, if we have an automatic defragger running to keep our systems nice and fast, we're screwed?

8. jimhubbard

Ok...I'll try the Backup Location thing.

I didn't want to use the Acronis Secure Zone because I use a seperate application to copy my Acronis backups to an external drive (it's a lot faster than getting Acronis to backup the system twice OR than making an Acronis backup of an Acronis backup). And, if Acronis hides these files from other apps, I can't make an external backup to take offsite with me.

Thanks.

9. jimhubbard

Perhaps a better alternative for Acronis would be to actually keep a hash list of the files and do a comparison...only backing up those files that have changed.

An even faster alternative would be a kernel level hook that keeps track of which files were accessed on the areas selected for backup and check only those for changes.

I'm just sayin'.....

10. Acronis Support

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup software

acummins, the incremental image after full image restoration is expected to be large because a lot of sectors are changed (if you're not restoring the image in sector-by-sector mode), so the best solution is to create new full image if you want to save the space.

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Levchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.