TI Home 10 Boot Disk Recovery Problems

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by GTBSr, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTBSr

GTBSr Registered Member

Two problems with TI Home 10 - What do I do now?

1. When I use a boot disk to restore some corrupt Outlook Express files, I cannot restore to the original location. If I try to restore to C: Acronis creates a folder called Drive C and restores all the files to that folder. Doesn't do any good. How do I get it to restore to the original location from the boot disk? If I try to restore from within Windows, I am replacing some files that are in use and it won't restore.

2. When I boot from the boot disk, there are some kernel errors that will not let it load the full version. It will load the safe version. While this is not a problem immediately, my secondary backup is to a USB external drive that will not be recognizable in the Safe Mode. My version 9 boot disk will load in the full mode, but it doesn't recognize the version 10 backups. Help!!!

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Do you get the option to restore to the original location?

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

What are the names of the Outlook Express files that you want to restore? Do they all have the .dbx extension? These are your mailboxes and can be overwritten in Windows as long as Outlook Express in not running.

4. GTBSr

GTBSr Registered Member

First, I do not get an option from the boot disk operation to restore to original location. I can understand that since the boot disk version sees the drive letters differently. But when I tell it to restore to C:\ I expect it to restore the files to C:\, not to C:\(Drive C)\.

Secondly, I was trying to restore the .dbx files as well as my identity. As it turns out I did try to do everything that MS recommends for the error I was getting and they didn't work. OE is not a major use on my machine so I can live without it. I'm more concerned with what happened on the boot disk restore than I am with the fact that I couldn't correct OE.

5. JeffTI10

JeffTI10 Registered Member

I just ran into the same problem. The archive was resatored to C:\C\. There is no option to restore to the original location from the boot disk. Is there a workaround?

Jeff

6. GTBSr

GTBSr Registered Member

I haven't found a workaround and the new update doesn't correct the problem. As near as I can tell this means you can't restore a few corrupt system files from the boot disk. Acronis support - have you picked up on this? Is there a workaround? What happens if I restore a whole drive - will it restore to the proper location? I certainly can't experiment with that.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello GTBSr,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please notice that the bootable version of Acronis True Image uses its own operating system that sees hard drives differently than Windows. Therefore, it cannot associate marked by Windows "Drive C" from the image with the actual C: drive it sees. We could suggest you performing such a restore running Acronis True Image from within Windows (Windows safe mode if necessary). Please also notice that it is not recommended to restore critical system files separately, because they are usually synchronized with many other system components and changing only some of them (not all at once) may lead to the system becoming unstable.
    When restoring the drive image as a whole the procedure is carried sector-by-sector, ignoring the filesystem and therefore everything is placed where it was at the moment of image creation.

Please make sure to recreate Acronis bootable media after downloading and installing the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If updating does not solve the problem, please try booting with "acpi=off noapic" parameter as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If that does not help either, please collect some information to let us investigate the issue thoroughly:

Please create Acronis Report and Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you not able to create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) then please do the following:

- Boot your computer from the Acronis Bootable Rescue Media and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;
    - After you get the "Linux kernel command line" prompt, remove the word "quiet", click on the OK button then and choose "Full Version".

When the screen stop scrolling please write down the output information you receive (last 5 lines), or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens. You can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys to scroll the screen manually.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. GTBSr

GTBSr Registered Member

First of all the latest build does solve the problem with booting into "full" mode.

But on your point of restoration, I have to disagree. If I have a drive that is F: drive in Windows and it has the label of SYSTEM, when I boot into Acronis bootable, then regardless of the drive letter Acronis will see the label. Let us suppose it sees the drive as D:(SYSTEM)
    If I then ask Acronis to restore a folder called WINDOWS onto the D:(SYSTEM) drive, I would expect it to do just that. Unfortunately, it does not do that. It will create a new folder on the D:(SYSTEM) drive called (C Drive) that it will then put the WINDOWS folder into. Why does Acronis also use the drive letter from the backup as part of the path? Why cannot it create a folder called WINDOWS on the D:(SYSTEM) drive that it knows about and restore to that folder?
    With this capability you could then restore your entire Windows folder in case of corrupt system files rather than having to restore the whole partition. This would be most useful for people who keep everything on their one partition. Fortunately my only use for C: drive is my operating system, but if I kept all my data there I would want the capability of restoring my OS folder.

9. mfabien

mfabien Registered Member

... then consider making a BartPE CD with TI plugin. It operates with Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.