TI has problem with srce and dest being different in file system (NTFS vs FAT)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mecalvint, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mecalvint

mecalvint Registered Member

I have always succeeded in using TI with NTFS source and destination.

Today I made an image of a FAT16 Dos box. From a NTFS Windows box I tried to explore the same image burnt on a CD. TI tried and err out a msg saying that it cannot assign a drive to the image.

On a related case, a friend tried to image a NTFS HD to a FAT32 USB HD through TI bootCD. It took forever for TI to analyse the disk and then 2hrs to image it.

Is there a problem for TI when source and destination have different file system ?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in Acronis
    True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/)!

1. You cannot verify the image if it is stored on several CDs till you copy all the files of the image to a separate folder on your HDD. In future versions it will be possible to verify the image that is stored on CDs partially as well.

2. Most likely it's connected to the driver issue - that the concrete USB drive support in bootable mode is not perfect yet. Gemerally I advice to do imaging procedure in Windows if it's possible.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

3. FitzChivalry

FitzChivalry Guest

What about mounting an image? Do all of the image files have to be on the hard drive to do that? I get a similar message as the previous poster:

"Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive."

The backup of the drive created 19 2GB *.tib files, but I only still have the last 4 on my external hard drive, having offloaded the first 15 to DVD+RW. Will I be unable to explore image archives unless all of the files are moved to the hard drive, first?

I have the trial version, I'm running Windows XP, and the backed up data was 40.3GB before compression. Not sure what other information you might need to answer my question. Thanks.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello --

Yes, in order to explore/mount an image you need all the files to be in one separate folder on your HDD.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Anton Gromov

Acronis, Inc.
    395 Oyster Point Blvd. Suite 213
    South San Francisco
    CA 94080 USA
    http://www.acronis.com/

Acronis... Compute with confidence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.