TI for Windows Server, BartPE and msvcp71.dll

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JoelBav, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoelBav

JoelBav Registered Member

Hi all,

I don't know if this is an Acronis question or a BartPE question, tho the BartPE part of the equation seems to be working ok. My apologies in advance to whoever I shouldn't be asking...

I'm trying to test the suitability of Acronis True Image for Windows Server on one of our Dell PowerEdge 1850 servers (Server 2k3 Standard Edition) before purchasing it for both of them. The target machine is outfitted with the Dell PERC 4e/Si controller for the two SCSI hard drives which are set up as a mirror set.

The version of TI I am working with is the demo of 9.1.0.3854, downloaded from the Acronis web site 2/7/2007. The BartPE came from nu2.nu and is version 3.1.10a. As far as I can tell, it's all factory fresh!

The CD that TI generates under Windows doesn't seem to support the SCSI controller (bummer!), so I'm assuming I have to turn to BartPE to create a bootable environment that includes the controller drivers and the Acronis Plug-In.

I put the appropriate drivers in the SCSI directory of the BartPE builder, created a plug-in directory for Acronis into which went the files from the TI installation's "BartPE" directory, made sure the plug-in was set to "Yes" for inclusion and seemed to build the .ISO without incident.

I slapped the CD into the server's drive and booted. BartPE seemed to run ok.

Drilling down thru Go\System\Storage and clicking Acronis True Image, I'll see the mouse pointer suggest that something tried to start but nothing else happened. No errors, not drive activity, no windows opening up. Nuthin'.

Using Go\Run and starting TrueImage.exe by hand, I got an error. The error was titled, "trueimage.exe - Unable To Locate Component" and read, "This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Have looked around and confirmed that this dll is not on the BartPE cd I created.

Does this sound like something familiar to anyone? Is there an issue with BartPE here, or is the issue with the Acronis plug-in wanting a dll that it should have included and registered? Have I failed to follow simple instructions?

Up to this point, I've been a happy camper with what I've seen of the TI4WinServ package and relieved to not have to deal with the competition anymore (the names Norton and Veritas use to mean something, but now they mean something else, and it ain't nice....!) but I cannot go dropping a couple grand to cover the two servers with a package that I can't make work, no matter where the fault may be.

Any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong will be greatly appreciated!

- Joel :)

2. mustang

mustang Developer

You did a good job. Acronis is at fault here. They actually forgot to add two necessary DLL's to their plugin (MSVCP71.DLL and MSVCR71.DLL). You could have had some more fun if added the first DLL to the plugin. You would have booted up and got the message that the second DLL was missing.

Do yourself a favor and download the Server version of the plugin for builds 3625 and up from my website.

3. JoelBav

JoelBav Registered Member

Oh yea, that would have been a JOLLY time...especially since the second file is only one letter off from the first. Not a good thing to be trickled by at the end of a 12 hr day...!

Anyway, thanks, Mustang, for the info. I'd think it in Acronis' best interest to issue a minor revision to correct this (after all, whether that demo works or not affects their sales...a couple grand here hinge on it.) I do appreciate your info and the time ya spent working up a fix!

- Joel :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.