TI for Linux (Echo) and Restore Disk: access CIFS share?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TokyoYank, Nov 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TokyoYank

TokyoYank Registered Member

I read that the restore boot disc can use a version of CIFS to connect to backups located on a network share. However, that was for the Windows client.

I am a potential customer and would be grateful if someone happens to know:

• Does the "Echo" version for Linux create a smiliar bootable disk capable of accessing CIFS resources?
    • Is the connection directed by a GUI, or is manual SMB syntax required?
    • Does the GUI and/or connection support user + password authentication for SMB shares connected by CIFS?
    • Is it possible to include the authentication in a secure "credentials" file on the rescue disk, such as is possible with a CIFS mount? ... In other words, is Echo smart enough to include this option when making the rescue media?

Mostly I just want to confirm that the Linux version behaves like the Windows version.

Thanks very much

PS The free demo works for RHEL 5 Desktop Workstation, even though it's not listed in the compatibility list. Could be the older kernel we used, however.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TokyoYank,

Thank you for using Acronis Corporate Products

Here are the answers:

1) Yes, it does. The only difference is that you should use the 'smb://' syntax instead of '\\' when accessing Windows shares using UNC path from Acronis True Image bootable rescue media created with Acronis True Image Echo Server for Linux.

2) You can either use the directory tree or UNC path to access shares. UNC path is used in GUI as well.

3) Yes, it does. You will be prompted for a SMB share credentials as soon as Acronis True Image accesses it.

4) I'm afraid there is no such functionality. You need to enter SMB share credentials every time you connect to this share.

PS. Please see the information available here

Thank you.

__

Oleg Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.