TI estimates 1 day to b/u 18 Gig!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kringles, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kringles

kringles Registered Member

Acronis TI; backup 18 Gig takes a day?

Downloaded Acronis TI 8.0 (build 903) for testing. Tried backing up my c drive (about 18 Gig on 25 Gig HD) to a second 80 Gig HD. Initial estimate at normal compression (11 Gig) was 40 minutes. Started the backup and after about 10 minutes an estimate of 1 day showed on the screen. This seemed much longer than expected. Have a 5 yr old P3 733 MHz pc with 512 MB of memory, windows XP Pro SP2. Canceled the backup as figured that there must be something wrong with TI or my system (although I have seen no other system problems).

A second problem is that the Acronis boot CDs do not complete a boot-up. Get initial Acronis screen followed by a loading....... screen and that is it. Stays 'hung' at the loading screen.

Would like use an imaging package like this but if it is really going to take that long would be better to format and reinstall and restore my data files. Anybody else seen problems like this or have any ideas

2. kringles

Update; 5 August 2005

Tried b/u again with file size set to 'Automatic', previously set to 2000 because I wanted to copy to DVD. Don't know if this is the reason but now get running estimates durnig backup indicating ~40 minutes versus 1 day. Will update this thread as I contiue.

On second issue will try the F11 fix mentioned on the read me thread.

3. kringles

Tried the 'acpi=off' fix to no avail, still errors out on boot up. Took some screen shots with digital camera an sent to 'support@acronis.com'.

The b/u completed in about 36 minutes, ~18 Gig saved to a ~15 Gig file on normal compression. File size was set to 'Automatic' versus 2000 kb on original attempts.

4. storage_man

storage_man Registered Member

Kringles

Make sure that you specify the Megabytes not just 2000. I've done this a bunch of times and TI created 1000's of 200kb files. I have found the best thing to do is type 2240mb - hit the tab key and you then will see the size of the output files.

Storage_man

PS: at 200kb, it probably would take at least a couple of days to create all of the 200kb files.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, that's good news. Automatic would have created one file on an NTFS partition and four files with the largest being 4GB on a FAT32 partition.

You first problem was specifying 2000 KB. That's 1.95MB. Splitting a 15 Gig file into 1.95 MB pieces would result in about 7,800 files. Big oops!

For copying to CDs use the 700MB size on the dropdown llist. If you want to burn to DVDs, type in 1492 MB. (It's easy to remember 1492 from the old Columbus sailed the ocean blue in fourteen hundred and ninty-two.) Three pieces will fit on one DVD with only 6 MB wasted.

John

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Yes, and using 2240MB as suggested by storage_man will bring a big complaint from Nero Burning ROM if trying to burn a DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation, as it greatly exceed the ISO 9660 maximum file size limitation.

1492 MB is good for an ISO compilation, 4.3 GB is good for a UDF compilation and, if you intend creating a bootable rescue DVD as per <this thread>, then use 1490 MB as you need a little extra space for the TI rescue programs.

Regards

7. kringles

I intended to specify 2000mb (2 gb). the kb in an earlier post was an error on my part. I actually just put in 2000, don't know if it was interpeted a kb or mb. I will try again with the suggested 2000mb (1or 1492mb) entry and see what happens.

Tried the workaround mention in the read me for the CD boot up problem. They did not work, have run a Acronis system report .exe that they sent and zipped/emailed the resulting txt file generated to support@acronis.com. If I can get this to work I will do some further testing including restoring an image file.

regards

update; found that if 2000 is entered TI assumes that kb was intended, if 1492 mb is entered as suggested the size is ~1.4 gb which is what I will use for DVD5 storage.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  8. Menorcaman

Hello kringles,

Have you tried disconnecting all non-essential USB devices before booting from the recue CD? I have always needed to disconnect my Conceptronic 6-in-1 flash card reader when booting from the CD otherwise my system hangs (the Acronis Development Team couldn't come up with a fix).

Regards

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  9. kringles

Will give this a try, I have the following via USB; Mouse, Keyboard, PhotoSmart 8450 printer (it contions a multiple card reader), SanDisk CF reader (Don't really need now that I have the printer), ScanJet 5370 C scanner, APC UPS backup. When I tried to boot from CD with the 'quiet' deleted saw it time out on some USB ports, it seemed to get past that part but I will give it a try. I appreciate the great suggestions so far, maybe I will get this to work, if so I will be glad to purchase.

Also saw some suggestions on the repair of the MBR. A little wary to try this yet as I have no problem booting the system (win XP Pro SP2) from HD, Floppy or CD with windows and various other boot disks.

regards

10. Menorcaman

Hi again kringles,

No need to mess with your MBR as it has no relevance to not being able to boot from the Acronis rescue CD.

Regards

11. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Don't mess with your MBR at this point. It has nothing to do with booting from the CD. Menorcaman has you on the best track.

Edit: --- and he was faster on the keyboard!

12. Menorcaman

Hi there Beenthereb4,

Snap!! :)

Best regards
    Tom

13. kringles

After some testing and advice from this forum and Acronis support have resolved my issues. Can back up to my second HD and split into ~1.45 gb files for writing to DVD. Also can boot from the Acronis recovery CD. Had to 'play' with my USB but got it to work just fine. Some of the problem may have been due to the long time it takes to boot up on my system. This is due to a number of USB timeouts but the bott up is sucessful!
    Could not test back up from the boot CD, this function not available in the trial version I am currently using. looked around and found a download version available at newegg for $29. Going there to buy it now.
    thanks & regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.