TI ES 9.1 Corrupted .tib Image recovery options?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aag, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aag

aag Registered Member

Hello,

Our company has been using Norton Ghost software to backup our workstations for quite some time now, but there have been some quirks with some of the recent SCSI hardware that we require, and decided to give TI 9.1 Enterprise Server a try.

After registering with Acronis, I was able to download the demonstration version of TI ES 9.1. I was quite impressed with the software, very simple configuration and yet detailed configuration options.

Recently, we had to swap out one of the SCSI drives on one of our production workstations (Windows 2003 Server), so I proceeded to create a backup image of the C: drive, which was then stored on one of the auxiliary drives on the system. (we made sure to validate the archive after creation)

We replaced the drive and restored the image using the Acronis Boot Disc without problem. Due to decreased performance (a 10K RPM drive replaced the 15K originally in the system) we needed to change the drive once again, that is where the problems began.

When we installed the new drive, and proceeded to restore our image, TI ES 9.1 complained, "This is not the last created volume of the backup archive. Please insert the last created volume to start working with this archive."

What would have caused this? It seems the image has been corrupted? The funny thing is, drive on which the image resides has 100% integrity, and, looking at the file modification times, the image seems to have been modified the first time we restored the image. It was also renamed and a "1" added to the end of the filename. Why would TI ES 9.1 do this?

Now, as the IT Manager for our company I would love to purchase and continue using TI ES 9.1, as it saves us much time, although our experience with TI started out positive, for now we have a 3.54GB .tib image file with some very important documents that we need to recover.

My question now is, does Arconis offer some peice of software that would allow us to manually retrieve files from a .tib file? After looking at the image through a hex editor you can see the NTFS filesystem & headers and you can actually see the contents of most of the old files.

If we were to purchase this software, does Acronis offer support to help us recover the files which are contained inside this .tib file? If we do decide to go with this software we would like some reassurance that our needs could be met in the Future. But for right now I could care less about restoring the operating system files as long as we could retrieve some of the documents stored within it.

I eagerly await a response from the Acronis crew, and to the fellow users of TI, I welcome your comments and insight.

Alfonso Gamboa
    Internal Systems Development
    Gran Turismo Enterprises

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aag,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

I am sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please clarify if you splitted the image into several parts (using "Archive splitting" options of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows) when you created the image archive? What file system is on the hard drive where you have stored the image archive? Please describe your step-by-step actions which you took to restore the image.

Please note that Acronis True Image does not rename the backup files. The number may be added if you created the incremental/differential backup. In this case you will have full backup (MyBackup.tib for example) and the incremental/differential backup (MyBackup2.tib, then MyBackup3.tib and so on). The number "1" may be added if the backup archive was splitted into several files (Chapter 6.3.8 "Archive splitting" in the Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide).

Please also note that in order to restore separate files/folders from the image archive (that can be validated successfully) you can use "Mount Image" tool of Acronis True Image (Chapter 12. "Mounting an image as a virtual drive") or use "restore separate files or folders" (Chapter 7.2 "Restoring files and folders from file archives"). If the backup archive was damage some how I am afraid that you will not be able to restore the data.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.