TI enterprise server echo 9.5 with universal restore and domain controllers

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ben20vt, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben20vt

ben20vt Registered Member

Hello,

Can I use this product to image a w2k3 domain controller/exchange 2003/SQL 2005 from old hardware to a new Dell server? I've heard imaging DC's on different hardware isn't recommended?

PS- There "was" another DC in use on this domain however I have already removed the replication links.

Ben

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  2. supdeco1

supdeco1 Registered Member

Hello

i used several times true image enterprise server, to migrate to a new hardware server.

There were DC controllers, and it's usefull to migrate.

Don't forget to have the raid driver of your new hardware, when you use the boot cd.

You can add after other drivers, but you need the raid driver

3. ben20vt

Thanks for your reply.

I need to know if Acronis TI Echo 9.5 with universal restore BOOT CD will image from Adaptec 2120S to the Dell Power Edge 2900 III with PERC5/I or PERC6/I SAS controllers.

Reliable information please as I'm about to spend over $20,000 on servers and I need to know Acronis 9.5 with u/r will work.

Thanks for help people!

4. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

don't rely on the BootCD, use PE instead. You have the full access to your devices using the original Windows drivers.

Another good advice is to make a SystemState backup using ntbackup before migrating to the new devices. So you have the possiblity to make a restore of the AD...just in case..(I never needed it)

Volker

5. ben20vt

Thanks for that I didn't know about the PE boot! Only thing is I can't use the universal restore feature.

If I do an offline backup of the DC I should not need to restore AD should I? Surley if the DC is offline when backed up there is no way it can know it's been restored from backup?

6. VolkerNadolski

VolkerNadolski Registered Member

Hi,

you can use UR in PE. You have to add the UR registry key in the acronis.inf
    0x1, "Acronis\UniversalRestore", "server" (or enterprise if Enterprise Version), "value from a machine where UR is installed".

Yes, you shouldn't need the backup...but having a backup and deleting it afterwards is better than having no backup and needing one ;-)

Volker

7. ben20vt

Thanks you very much for your help!

:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.