TI Ent. Server 1158 - Acronis loader can't initialize USB2.0 drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by raddygast, Jul 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raddygast

raddygast Registered Member

Hi,

I recently tried to restore an image to my laptop. I had been using version 941 for quite some time with no problems, on my desktop (apart from a few cosmetic bugs). I am pretty sure I had successfully restored to my desktop in the past, but this time I needed to restore to the laptop.

The external USB2.0 enclosure I use is a Prolific PL-3507 chipset. It was working just fine with the desktop machine. On the laptop, I can create the image just fine. When I try to restore it, TI tells me that files are in use (I was trying to restore the OS) and I can hit Retry or Reboot.

I tried Reboot, and with the Acronis loader I got a whole string of error messages, all starting with:

ohci1394_0: Invalid <blah blah blah a bunch of hex codes>
    ohci1394_0: Failed to <blah blah>

and something about initializing contexts.

It looks like it's totally failing to recognize either the USB 2.0 drivers, or the external enclosure's chipset. After a while it times out and loads up, but then when I try to browse it takes a billion years to "scan" partitions and all I see is the external disk's activity light flashing without end.

I thought maybe the newest build (115:cool: would help. I tried it, but it was exactly the same. Note, using the rescue disk and selecting "USB, SCSI support" ends up causing the same problem exactly.

So my question is, is my external drive just not supported? The USB2.0 drivers work fine with TI within Windows XP. The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 5200.

The strange thing is the error says "ohci1394_0" but I'm not using Firewire at the time. My external enclosure has both USB2 and firewire but I am using USB2.

I would really appreciate any feedback. This makes TI rather useless for me -- I had just assumed it would work as well on my laptop as it does on my desktop. Any workarounds? For the time being I have copied the image back to a secondary partition on my laptop, but that is not ideal and there are times when I don't have the space.

2. raddygast

raddygast Registered Member

Surprisingly, I'm even having difficulties when the external drive is not attached.

I get similar errors, though not as much.

ohci1394_0: Set PHY Reg timeout
    ohci1394_0: Runaway loop while stopping context

and so forth. Then when it gets into TI finally, it is very slow to scan even the local disk partitions, and when trying to restore, it is taking *forever* on the "Analyzing partition C...." stage.

Now, at the verify stage, it is saying the process will take 1 day 2 hours.... and the estimate is increasing. I really have no idea what's going on, seems TI hates my laptop.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello raddygast,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Is it possible to turn off the FireWire port in BIOS in your laptop? If so please try to do it and boot with Acronis Bootable CD once again. If the problem persists (or if FireWire cannot be turned off) please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround described at Acronis Help Post and if it doesn't help please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears? After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word and click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling, you can use Shift+PgUp and Shift+PgDn keys in order to scroll the screen manually. Please write down the last few (~10-15) lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens and send the captured information to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. Please indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Marian Fadeeva. She will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.