TI Cross Subnet browsing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by collisba, Apr 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. collisba

collisba Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I have 24 servers, 1/2 of which are on 1 subnet, the other half on the other. When I pop open the TI management console, I only see the computers on the same subnet as the server in the computers near me window. I don't suppose there is any way to make the servers on our other subnet show up automatically? It gets a bit annoying to have to type in the unc name each time I want to check to see if an image completeted on one of those servers.

I have a feeling this will be a limitation of TI, but I thought I'd ask. I also have a ticket open for this as well as another issue. Oh.. and I'm running the latest build, 945

If TI isn't able to browse cross subnet, I suppose I could break my team of 4 NIC's and then assign 2 to each subnet, but some of my jobs run over 12 hours already and I need the bandwidth.

Thanks for any help or ideas,

Brian

2. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

That's an interesting problem. I have around 30 servers spread out across both subnets and domains and I don't have this issue. I'm able to browse to all my servers without issue (actually, the problem you are having is a major issue - and limitation - with Symantec LiveState which prompted me to switch to TI in the first place). I'm using Build 1124 (just came out), but it did work on 945.

I assume your network settings are correct (DNS, WINS, etc.), specifically the gateway IP on the image server. Other than that, I hope you are able to fix this issue! Good luck!

3. collisba

Hi John,

Are you running Active Directory, Pre AD, or both? We've been using an AD/NT4 mix for a couple of months, but finally got around to dropping a Wins on the second subnet to help with network browsing, which is something TI would have issues without.

Perhaps I'm looking at an issue with our AD/Wins setup, or an issue with forwarding broadcasts between routers. . I can use UNC's all day long to connect, but my guess now is that our router might be blocking broadcasts across subnets. I'll have to jump in there and take a look.

Thanks,

Brian

4. napoleon

napoleon Registered Member

Brian,

My image server is in our Win2K domain (PROD) using AD (mixed mode). This domain does not have WINS. It does have it's own local DNS, but mostly forwards DNS requests outside of PROD to our UNIX DNS servers. I also have another AD domain that we are using but phasing out. This domain has no trusts with PROD. We also have two other NT 4.0 domains, one we built and are slowly transitioning to PROD, and another we inherited from an acqusition. In any case, the image server in PROD can browse all domains, and to my surprise, even workgroups. It doesn't seem to matter where the server are when I browse. Did you find anything in the router(s)?

5. collisba

It looks like a problem with our Vlans.. which we can't set to allow broadcasts back and forth. I did manage to get around it by swapping ports, and setting a NIC team to each subnet.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.