TI CD Boot Error - ata2: disabling port (frozen)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Guest Mike, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest Mike

Guest Mike Guest

Greetings,

I just purchased a retail box of TrueImage Home 10 for use with my new Dell Laptop, Model Mobile Precision M4300. I tried booting off of the enclosed CD, and it worked partially the first time (meaning I was able to get to the main menu, with choices backup, restore, etc). However, as I was typing the location of where to put the destination image, the machine froze. I had no choice but to disconnect my power adapter and remove the battery in order to power off (ugly).

Every since then, when I attempt to boot off of the CD, I get the following:

Loading, please wait...
    ata2: disabling port

It is then frozen from that point on (I've waited up to 20 minutes). Again, I must disconnect everything, then remove the battery in order to power off.

I installed on Windows, registered the product, then loaded and installed the latest update (build 4942), and re-booted. I then used that latest build (via Windows), to create a new bootable media CD (CD-R), restarted the laptop, and I'm getting the same thing again (ata2: disabling port), and it's frozen again.

By the way, I have a Logitech Trackman Wheel Mouse connected to one USB port, along with a Maxtor 160 GB USB 2.0 external drive connected to another USB port.

What does it take to create a bootable CD image, so that I can save an image of my existing C: drive main partition to my external USB drive, while not booted into my C: drive? I don't care to try to save the C: drive main partition while booted into it.

Please let me know if this is possible.

Thanks!

Mike

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You can make an image of the entire hard drive while in Windows to your external hard drive. That's entirely safe. You can also validate that image.

However, you won't be able to restore the image until you have a way to boot the computer from a CD. The C partition can only be restored when Windows is not running from the internal hard drive. Even if you start the restore from Windows, TI reboots into the Linux environment to restore C. The TI Recovery CD is another solution, but it runs the same Linux, and your system is locking up in Linux. That's probably a driver problem, but read the sticky message about the work arounds to boot CD problems.

The final approach is to make a BartPE boot CD. This runs a limited version of Windows XP from a CD. The stickies at the top of the forum describe how to created the CD and include TrueImage on it.

You might try searching this forum for the model of your Dell to see if anyone else has found an answer for this model. I'd search just for M4300. Here's what I found and hgratt reported that the BartPE CD worked on his M4300:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=182434&highlight=M4300

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.